Pregnancy Community

Why have my periods become so light??

My whole life I have had EXTREMELY heavy periods. They lasted 7 to 10 days, lots of clotting and for the heaviest 3 to 4 days in the middle, even the super plus tampons wouldn't always hold up. Over the last year however, my periods seem to be getting lighter and lighter. They are more spotty, almost no clotting and they only last like 4-5 days. Sometimes I'll get light spotting and then nothing for a few days and then a light 4-5 day period with only one heavier day (but still nowhere near as heavy as my old "heavy" days).

Anyway, I'm 28 and the only thing I can think of that may have caused this is that I did have cryosurgery on my cervix about a year and a half ago to remove some abnormal cells. Could this have triggered the change in my menstrual cycle? Could there be some other underlying cause... something to be concerned about?

My big worry is that the lighter periods or whatever is causing them could also have an effect on my fertility. I just got married this year and we are going to start trying to conceive soon. Should I be concerned?