anyone else losing ketones???

Anyone else losing ketones and going into starvation mode? What did you do?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
They have to test you for diabetes if you're pregnant... And I'd demand a test... They can't refuse you because you are young and I know children under 5 that have gotten type 1 diabetes. I think you need a new doctor
Helpful - 0
My midwife automatically refuses to believe I might have diabetes because of my young age. I don't really like that but I don't know what to say.
I'm not scheduled to meet with a dietician.
Helpful - 0
Are you eating well?  Plenty of carbohydrates?

Have you been tested,  and re-tested for diabetes?  In pregnant women who are eating adequate amounts of food,  ketones in the urine usually point to Type 1 diabetes.  

In Type 1,  there isn't enough insulin produced (or it's produced very sporadically) to break down carbohydrates into sugars,  so the person loses weight and the body begins metabolizing fat and muscle.  

Or if you're not eating well,  it sounds like you need to bump up your calorie intake.

Are you scheduled to meet with a dietician?
Helpful - 0
Yes there are ketones in my urine. Dr says it means my body isn't getting enough food and its taking from my fat and muscle.
I've stayed 120 pounds for months even though the baby is growing like she should
Helpful - 0
Could you elaborate a little more?  Are you saying you have ketones in your urine,  but then what does the "going into starvation mode" mean?
Helpful - 0
Bump
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pregnancy Community