Pregnancy Community

breast engorgment

Ladies I had my daughter 4 days ago and I'm breast feeding her and she sleeps a lot I feed her every 2-4 hours my milk came in early so in between feedings my boobs hurt so so bad. I have a pump but it makes my nipples hurt so bad I cant use it. What can I do? Any suggestions would be great
you could always try hand expressing abit just to get the pressure off them abit, I wouldnt let your baby go longer than 3 hrs without a feed, also it will take a couple of days for them to regulate how much milk you need to produce, so just put her to the breast more often and hand express abit as well :)
Maybe try a different pump? I know a lot of hospitals rent them out, so you could try theirs out before you buy a new one. Just an idea.
Thank you I will try to had express. And I tries to.rent one from the hospital but they were out
You should be able to adjust the suction on your pump... Or my electric pump is like that. I used to pump and that helped a ton. Or I'd take a hot shower and get the milk going in the shower(I'm pretty leaky though) I'd just let themspray as much as I could. You can try some ice packs too. I justtried to get through it. Use lanolin if your nipples are sore or ask your dr about Tylenol or pain reliever. It will get better soon! You just gotta hang in there!
I had same problem try putting very warm wet towel/washcloth over you breast when you pump. The doc had to do that for me and it started coming like a leaky faucet no more swelling!