Pregnancy Community

circumsicion

I'm not really sure where to put this, but wanted to get any help on this situation. My husband is uncircumcised and doesn't like it at all. We had both pretty much agreed that if we have a son he will be circumcised. Though I wonder about later on when our son is growing up and wonders/questions why he looks different than daddy, what do you tell him?? I'm not sure how to handle that conversation. Any ideas/suggestions?? thanks!
I'll just tell my son that I did it because it's cleaner. If I have a son I am doing it not cuz of a religious/cultural thing, but for a cleanliness thing. If he asked why dads was different i'd just say cuz he his mommy and daddy didn't have it done. If he asks why, i'd just say it's like getting a haircut. "sometimes boys can grow thier hair out long, and the mommy and daddy want it long, sometimes we want to cut it short to keep it tidy" Thats why they're different.

But I don't think it'll be that complicated to explain.
I think that if this question comes up from your little one then you just explain that it was parent's choice or if it was a cultural thing. I don't think that it is a major factor and usually young kids will brush it off as nothing more than one of those things =)
Quite frankly, why are you comparing dad and son's penises?  Why does your husband care that your son didn't have his skin removed?  Why are parents so obsessed with transforming the look of their children's genitals?  I personally feel that the skin should be left intact and if the son decides to become circumcised than he can do that.  You cannot add skin back.  It is permanently altering the body of your child for cosmetic reasons (which it is and the reason why most insurances no longer cover the cost of it), so think about it in that way.

If the subject comes up for us, I will be honest.  Some parents choose to cut parts of the penis off and some do not.  I don't agree with lying or sugar coating answers and my son is 6 and not harmed or scarred by that.  When he is old enough to research and read about the subject he can form his own opinion.
why do you want to have your son circumcised if your partner isnt? to be fair you can either not circumcise your son or tell your partner to get circumcised then he wont be any different, can i ask why they circumcise? just out of interest?
First I wouldnt go judging them if thats what they choose to do. Obviously they have already made up their mind. The question was what to tell their son when he asks why is his different.
Ofcourse he might be curious and want to know!

You don't know if your having a son so I wouldn't worry about it until the time comes....
Wow, I didn't know this was such a sensitive subject! My husband and I both decided that if we have a son, that he would be circumcised for cleanliness reasons. My husband wishes his was done before, and now if he gets it done it is MUCH more painful at the older age, so we want to get it done for our son. Statistically boys who are uncircumcised have a higher chance/risk of getting a UTIs, penile cancer, prostate cancer, and other infections.