Aa
A
A
A
Close
Pregnancy Community
72.3k Members

cord blood

I found out im o positive can i save my cord blood?

1 Responses
1794093 tn?1357930759
Im certain depending where you live there is most likely some way of saving cord blood, you may also have the option of donating your cord blood as well... i would talk to your Dr, sooner than later about this if you are interested as its easier to set up arrangements earlier than later...

Just FYI if you were ever interested in donating blood in the future...(i know this is OT but its really good info to know)

Blood Typing for Transfusions
"In the event a person with O positive blood should need a transfusion---due to trauma, surgery, cancer, blood disorders or other illnesses---he or she can receive only O positive or O negative blood. As a result, O positive blood is in high demand, trailing only O negative blood, which is used in emergencies when there isn't time to type a recipient's blood.
Those who are O positive can donate blood to any of the other positive blood types. According to the Red Cross, this means:
• 84 percent of the population can receive their red blood cells
• 100 percent of the population can receive their platelets
• 45 percent of the population can receive their plasma"

so this means you can only recieve 2 out of the 8 types of blood if needed... BUT you can give blood to 4/8 types of blood types... and O+ is the most common blood type out there... 38% have this type in the US population... so it could go a long way!! Which also says a lot for organ donating as well :)
Have an Answer?
Top Pregnancy Answerers
13167 tn?1327194124
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.