MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.

first pregnancy.

So doctors Estimated about 3 weeks. Just from a hospital visit. Im 20 years old and this is my first. I just want to know for those women on here who have had previous pregnancies what I should and should not do? And also tips to quit smoking cigarettes because I've been smoking since I was 14, sadly.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank you. I've been chewing gum and sacrificing the cigarettes I want most like right after I eat and right after I shower. The other day I went out for a cig after 5 hrs and typically I used to go our every hour or every two hours. So I'm doing better and I've even bought gum to help with it. But another thing is the damm back pain its typically really bad after work.
Helpful - 0
She's not saying she isn't going to quit. She's saying she isn't going to quit cold turkey and is looking for advice on how to slowly cut back to the point of quitting. No need to be rude. Believe it or not sometimes doctors recommend you keep smoking a little if you are really stressed and have high blood pressure or preeclampsia because quitting could be even more dangerous. Don't believe me ask my cousin. She had hypertension/preeclampsia and high blood pressure and was so stressed from trying to quit it made her sick and her doctor told her not to quit because she would end up possibly losing her baby. Smoking actually saved her baby's life and he's perfectly healthy. Obviously this isn't the case for everyone but don't bash someone until you know their story.
Helpful - 0
This is my first baby to and im also 20 years old don't eat or drink stuff with artificial sweeteners in it take prenatal vitamins and don't eat cold lunch meat
Helpful - 0
There were mothers in Auschwitz concentration camp In WW2 who pretended they weren't hungry in front of their children, so their children would eat their rations and survive.   The mothers died of starvation  

I think you can probably quit smoking for your baby.  It won't kill you.

Helpful - 0
I quit smoking with my first. Just quit cold turkey. No not everyone can do that. If they could cig companies would be in trouble. Yes for some people quitting cold turkey can be more dangerous than having a few a day. Like with every other part of pregnancy, everyone and every situation is different, but if i may give a bit of advice, if you,do manage to quit during the pregnancy dont start back after you have the baby, it still has negative effects on the child. And it is better for you. My grandpa died from lung cancer and my mom is losing a battle with COPD. A 5min stress reliever isnt worth the long term damage or the pain and suffering  that it may cause your loved ones
Helpful - 0
Start taking prenatal vitamins, drinking lots of water, eating healthy, and slowly cutting back on smoking if you can. Try chewing gum or eating suckers to take your mind off having a cigarette in your mouth. Keep yourself busy too!
Helpful - 0
I don't care for anyone's opinion on how to quit smoking. I'm limiting myself and I'm quitting. That's the bottom line and that's the only thing that's important. I don't care what anyone's doctor told them MY doctor told me to wing myself off of it. I think I trust the person with a medical degree more. Every pregnancy is different and I know women who quit cold turkey and had a miscarriage. I'd rather take my doctors advice than to quit in an moments notice because the risk is still there. Just because YOU and other women didn't have one doesn't mean I won't. We don't have the same body despite the same body parts. Everyone's body is different as well as every pregnancy
Helpful - 0
Its not hard to quit i have quit cold turkey for all 4 if my pregnancys having a healthy baby is more important to me than the nicotine
Helpful - 0
No one is saying it’s easy to quite. Every one is saying its selfish and pathetic not to quit for the sake of your baby.  Addiction is a hard and horrible thing and no one saying ‘just quit’ is saying it’s not. They are saying it is all a matter of will power and you just have to do it. There is no magic way to kick it other than to just grit your teeth and go for it.

Also that bit about miscarriage from quitting cold turkey is a complete lie. Quitting cold turkey will raise stress levels true but that alone isn't enough to cause a bloody miscarriage. (Called my hospitals 24 hour help hotline to confirm that)

Quit cold and fight hard for not just the baby but your own long term health as well.
Helpful - 0
Every person and pregnancy is different. I'm not quitting cold turkey with the risk of having a miscarriage. My baby is important to me, its my whole world. But smoking is a hard habit to quit for those who didn't just do it because they looked cool. The doctor advised me quitting cold Turkey can cause a miscarriage as he said all pregnancies and all women don't necessarily go through that. But he also stated to do it slowly because that risk is still present. If you want to call us selfish because we can't "just quit" then you need to get off this post. I nor any of the other mothers to be want to hear your negativity because ik I sure
As hell don't. Thank you and have a wonderful day
Helpful - 0
The patch is the same thing. Your baby would still be addicted to nicotine. I think it's really selfish that you would even consider it. Babies are blessings and you are knowingly harming your child. Why not just quit? I am 23 and smoked since I was about 12 and with both pregnancies I stopped cold turkey. I smoked a pack a day too. If you really cared you could just quit.
Helpful - 0
Sigh I have cut back also but it's Just so hard I'm 20 and I've been smoking since 12 I really love my baby and wish I could quit what do you guys think about going on the patch while pregnant
Helpful - 0
I do agree its hard to quit. My plan was 2 weeks to quit and my fiance is even gonna cut back or quit as well just to make it easier on me. I'll take the advice on cutting out the cigarette I want most. Thank you girls for helping and giving advice.
Helpful - 0
I really can't stand it when people act like it's so easy to quit smoking.. yes not harming your child is a good enough reason to quit but how does knowing that help with the cravings?? It doesnt. I'm due in 11 days and still have 3 a day which my dr said is fine as long as I'm not stressed. I would say chew gum or eat candy like suckers, it keeps your mouth occupied.. maybe get active (not too active of course) just find things that can hopefully distract you from thinking about smoking. I've also heard if you take away the cigarette you want the most first (like after you eat or something) then it also makes it easier. I hope this helps you! And makes sure to drink plenty of water! :)
Helpful - 0
You're not alone I'm having trouble quitting too I've cut back a lot but it's not good enough.  You just need to tell your dr and see what they think is best for you and what will help you with the least harm to your child,  that's what I'm doing.  Good luck girl
Helpful - 0
I'm having a hard time quitting. I've cut back from my pack a day to like 5-6 cigs a day but ik that its still bad. I just don't know of any ways to subside the nicotine craving.
Helpful - 0
Quit smoking because it can have a serious harm on your unborn child-that should be enough reason to quit. As for the do's and don'ts,  google it and ask your doctor.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pregnancy Community