Pregnancy Community

gestational diabetes

Ok I had my blood work done at week 27 for blood sugar and it was 213 I am scared and dont know what to do. Does anyone know how much it can affect my baby's health. Or chances of any abnormalities? And when does diabetes actually start during preg is it only in 3rd trimester? Or I may have got it earlier than that?
It could start early in pregnancy, as this is my third time having it, and they did want to test earlier. But it won't hurt you or the baby finding out at 28 weeks for the first time. Your baby won't get abnormalities from it, but it is very important from now on to watch your diet and get those sugar levels under control, or you do have risks like a large baby. And at birth, they do a heel prick test on bub straight away to check the sugar levels, and if they are too high or too low, bub will be put on an IV drip to regulate the glucose level. But managing a diabetic diet is not that hard really, and you'll be fine. Just gotta say goodbye to mcdonald's, choccies, lollies and junk food!
Thanx a lot it really helped m not a big junk food eater already but I m planning on sticking with oatmeal for rest of weeks. Thnx again ♥♥♥♥
Just thought I'd mention avoiding junk food isn't exactly the whole answer. Your doctor should have educated you or sent you to a "class" or something to teach you about it- if he/she didn't, definitely ask it's worth it! Foods higher in sugars (like fruits and carbohydrates) need to be regulated. There's some tricks here and there, like eating a protein with a higher-sugar food will regulate the sugar level.
Don't worry baby will be perfectly fine :D