gingivitis and preterm labor

so i think i have pregnancy gingivitis...its really minor, just red along my gums and a lot of blood when im pregnant. i know that new studies have found pregnant women are more likely to deliver preterm if they have gingivitis...although i dont have dental insurance. can gingivitis go away on its own if its reallly minor? i know normally your supposed to get antibiotics for it but i am trying to floss everyday and use a good mouthwash....do you think this will help?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
If you can afford it go ahead and go to aa dentist for an ease of mind if nothing else, but honestly I think if you do as everyone is has suggested you will be fine! :)
Helpful - 0
I didn't read all of the responses, but I know that Listerine will take care of this.  Just make sure to brush in the morning and at night.  It is good to floss also and then use the Listerine each time.  Bleeding gums is very normal and this is what a Dental Hygenist told me during one of my pregnancies.  It helped me very quickly!  Just make sure to get a Listerine formula that says it helps fight Gingivitis.
Helpful - 0
Peroxide swishing helps too, just be very careful not to swallow any.
Helpful - 0
I think it only makes you go through preterm labor if it develops into periodontis (sp?). If it was only gingivitis then 80% of pregnant women would be having preemies!
Helpful - 0
bleeding gums during brushing is a pregnancy symptom too so look after your mouth and brush teeth 2wice daily with the suggestions above.
Helpful - 0
do as shelly said but to finish it off with mouth wash for 30 seconds or warm water with heaps of salt in it and rinse mouth good to klll bacteria.
Helpful - 0
do you think i need to have it treated by a dentist though or is it not dangerous at this point?
Helpful - 0
My mom works at a dental office and I had the same thing earlier in my pregnancy. You need to brush your gums and gum lines more, it will bleed at first but let it bleed its means your brushing right and eventually the bleeding will stop. If you get some spare time through the day but some warm water on a tooth brush and do the same things to your gums, the more you brush them the faster you can get rid of this problem also, the flossing helps too. It will NOT go away on, this is the fastest way to treat it at home. If not treated it can turn into periodontal disease which is REALLY not good, so treat it while you can!
Helpful - 0
meant to say alot of blood when i brush
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pregnancy Community