Pregnancy Community

help - i'm very worried

earlier, i passed what looked like a big chunk of liver. if you just touch the tip of your thumb with the tip of your middle finger, the inside of that is about the size of it. i went to hospital and the nurses were freaked and puzzled too. but when i saw the dr, who i waited nearly 3 hours for, he said it didn't look like much of anything. i thought ' yes it [email protected]?!#in does...it looks like a huge chunk of liver '. so , i asked him about 3 times what it was and he just kept saying he didn't know. i was given an internal and hooked upto a monitor...basically it was determined i wasn't in labour then i was sent home. no scan, and he told me to throw what i'd passed in the bin so it didn't go off to try and determine what it was. i'm getting pains again now and to be honest i'm freaking out. i've never passed anything like that in pregnancy before. has anyone any ideas?
Did you have any cramping before or during the passing of this "clot"?
I dont have any idea what it could be, but i do no that hospitals sometimes dont do  there jobs or even make the patient feel less concerned, especially saying I DONT NO, what type of answer is that.  Have you called your OB?  Try calling or going to another hospital.
That is really strange. Was this an ER doctor? Remember that ER doctors are NOT OB doctors. They don't see these types of things on a daily basis. They're specialty is trauma (heart attacks, gunshot wounds, etc.).
i had pain before during and after the passing of it. it was a maternity dr. now i am very freaked because i've just checked out what a placenta looks like and it looks the same as what i passed. i've phoned a medical advice line and they've told me to ring the hospital back and push for a scan.
Definitely go back and insist a scan...good luck and keep us posted!
You're definitely correct- it COULD be placenta. I didn't even think of that. Are you having any bleeding? Are you still feeling baby movement?
I would be very concerned and demand a scan! Please let us know what you find out!
i've had red blood, but it was in the mucousy stuff ( all day ) so assumed it was my plug. am feeling little movements and pain. the central midwifery unit are gonna call me back.
Oh my gosh I can't believe how some drs are you think they would be over cautious about that! I would demand an ultrasound asap. Good luck and keep us posted.
am going out of my mind right now! waiting for the call back. can't believe he made me throw it away.
omg i dont know what id do that is just crazy and for him to tell you to just throw it away without any answers some dr's i would be going crazy please keep us updated
just spoke to midwife off the ward i was on and it was all covering a$s basically. i tripped her up a few times. she's gettin someone else to phone me back
Well I definitely think you need to go to L&D. It sounds like you just passed part of the placenta and that's where the bleeding is coming from. This is an emergency situation. Can you just go to the hospital's L&D? I'm not sure how it works in the UK.
not really, they tell you when to go in.
defitely puxh to find what is going on and I will be thinking about u and little one

sayley
ok, i've got somewhere. i spoke to the on call registrar. as it had all become about covering a$s i said i'd never sue the nhs because i'm not like that, but that i'm very worried about WHAT i've passed and all this call was about was concern for my baby. i got answers. passing of part of the placenta is so rare that it isn't something he's ever seen in his entire career. i should go back in immediately if i bleed or have severe pain. it is most likely that i passed a large blood clot, which means i've had a recent bleed ( without knowing ). if nothing goes bump in the night, i'm to go back in the morning, when i shall insist on a scan if i'm not offered one.
scan department is only open in the day so i won't find out anymore before then. but if it was ( albeit very rare ) part of my placenta i am gonna be soooooooooooo angry. it will not show on the scan and the only proof is lying in a hospital bin. anyway, it's nearly midnight here and i'm wiped out. not sure if i'm gonna sleep but i definitely need to rest and keep an ever so close eye on my body, so i will update you all upon my return from hospital tomorrow. thank you all so much for your support here, it meant a lot to me.
Keep counting baby movements, too. And try to get rest.
he's moving a fair bit at the moment :) am going to lie down now. the registrar said too to get a lot of rest. trust you girls more though...definitely after all that tonight ( but probably before too )
Placentas and clots appear similar, but if it was a part of your placenta, the tissues would be impenetrable.  If it was a bloot clot, you can break it up with your fingers.  Also, if it was a part of your placenta, you would still be bleeding a great deal, not just mucousy blood.  I had a bleed once, and it was fairly minor.  I did pass a few big clots.  It went away and I haven't had anything since.  I am really glad to hear that you feel baby movement.  That is a really good sign.  Chances are it was just a clot from a possible subchorionic bleed.  These are fairly common and go away on their own.  In the meantime, I would refrain from sex and heavy lifting until you get it sorted out.  Best of luck to you.
Wow - that is crazy!  My feeling, and hope is, that since a "maternity doctor" examined it (is this the same thing as an OBGYN in the States) then they should have been able to identify placenta tissue .... It still could have been a clot too.  It may have been lodged somewhere and come lose which would mean you are somewhat dilated at this point - sometimes people have bleeds that you cant notice externally for various reasons.  I hope things are ok and dont hesitate to go back in if you have any further concerns.

Out of curiosity when they asked you to dispose to the material what did you do with it?  Throw it in a trash can in the hospital room?  

I am hoping it was nothing major but please Demand the scan tomorrow!Please keep us posted!
actually, i don't know what kinda dr he was. he's the dr you wait for on the maternity ward. i did throw it in the hospital trash, dr saw me do it. i didn't want to...i wanted to know what it was. was a bin with a yellow lid with something written on but i didn't read it. what gets me is he admitted he didn't now what it was and then said throw it in the bin! when he examined me internally ( 4 hours after i passed the freaky thing ) my cervix was closed. i have felt something 'dislodging' yesterday and today...figured i was gonna lose more plug. i haven't had sex since i conceived. i've been there before this pregnancy with bleeding...just not clots. unfortunately, i do have to lift heavy things, it can't be helped. it's kept to a minimum though.
i do thin it's a clot now because when i messed with it, it could split/ come apart. dr just glanced at it, that's all.