Pregnancy Community

high blood pressure and pregnancy

Hello,.

I have a couple of questions.  My husband and I are ready to start trying for a family and I have tried to get an appointment with local doctors for a consultation to pick the one that we like best.  Most aren't available until I become pregnant.  I am overweight.  I am about 5'-6" and weigh about 240 lbs.  I also have elevated blood pressure and take 25mg of Toprol XL per day to control it (It still runs around 130/88 on a regaular basis).  Besides these two things, I have no other health problems.  I have started exercising on a regular basis, take a prenatal vitamin and watch what I eat (no more processed foods, lots of fruits and veggies, etc..)
My questions are:
1.  Can my husband and I go ahead and start trying for a family?
2.  Do I need to change blood pressure medication?
3.  I had read somewhere that preeclampsia runs in the family.  My mother and sister both had it with one of their children (they were average weight with no previous blood pressure problems).  Does that mean that I will probably get it also?  Is there anything that I can do to try and avoid it?  
4.  My sister also had placenta previa, her and the baby almost died when her waters were broke.  Does that run in the family and should I be worried about it?

Thanks for any help you can give!
1) I cant see why not
2) Yes, you will need to change your BP meds!!! I was on one that was safe to take during pregnancy.......
3) the best thing to do is to stay clam and relaxs. There is no way to tell if you will get it or Not. but because you already have High BP and is a little over weight,  you dont know how your body will re-acted to being pregnant.
4) Im not sure, I would check that out with your OB.....

Im only 5'2 and started this pregnancy at 215 and is now 232, if you feel good about starting TTC dont let your weight be an issues....