Aa
A
A
A
Close
Pregnancy Community
72.3k Members

laxatives & birth control

I take laxatives (dulcolax) for chronic constipation, and I was wondering if it could somehow affect the effectiveness of the birth control pills (Yaz) that I'm taking. Do I have a higher risk of getting pregnant?
1 Responses
436301 tn?1205520602
Hi!
   Yes, laxatives can definitely alter the strength of any prescription medications you take. Are you taking these every day? If so, you need to talk to your doctor. I was anorexic/bulimic for 4 years and was addicted to laxatives the entire time and could not go to the bathroom without taking them. When I got help for my problem, my doctor was very helpful and put me on a prescription laxative which regulated my digestion and helped a lot! Over the counter laxatives are not meant to be taken on a regular basis, and it can do a lot of harm to your body, trust me, I have been through it. I believe that the prescription laxative I was on did not have any interference with medications because when I was first in recovery I had to be on a lot of them because I was very sick...and they all still worked. Over-the-counter laxatives do interfere, however. If you have chronic constipation...talk to your doc ASAP!!!!
Have an Answer?
Top Pregnancy Answerers
13167 tn?1327197724
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.