Pregnancy Community

laxatives & birth control

I take laxatives (dulcolax) for chronic constipation, and I was wondering if it could somehow affect the effectiveness of the birth control pills (Yaz) that I'm taking. Do I have a higher risk of getting pregnant?
Hi!
   Yes, laxatives can definitely alter the strength of any prescription medications you take. Are you taking these every day? If so, you need to talk to your doctor. I was anorexic/bulimic for 4 years and was addicted to laxatives the entire time and could not go to the bathroom without taking them. When I got help for my problem, my doctor was very helpful and put me on a prescription laxative which regulated my digestion and helped a lot! Over the counter laxatives are not meant to be taken on a regular basis, and it can do a lot of harm to your body, trust me, I have been through it. I believe that the prescription laxative I was on did not have any interference with medications because when I was first in recovery I had to be on a lot of them because I was very sick...and they all still worked. Over-the-counter laxatives do interfere, however. If you have chronic constipation...talk to your doc ASAP!!!!