Pregnancy Community

pregnant with a kidney stone

is there anything that can be done for a kidney stone while pregnant
Surgical options are limited during pregnancy. Therefore, some doctors recommend their patients simply take low dose tylenol to control the pain until the baby is born, then a surgical procedure can safely be done.

Other times the doctor will recommend placing a stent into the bladder. These stents are supposed to help kidney stones pass, but stents often must be left in for the remainder of the pregnancy, and can cause extreme pain.

Drink plenty of extra water, and avoid high oxalate foods such as nuts, dark leafy green vegetables, berries and chocolate. Drinking pure lemon juice freshly squeezed or from concentrate has been known to help dissolve kidney stones too. Keep in mind that pre-made lemonade drinks don't do the job. You need to use actual lemon juice, about 2 ounces or half a lemon, every day. You can add the lemon juice to your tea or water each morning too. I've also heard drinking lemon juice about once each hour can help alleviate the pain. I hope you find relief soon.  Good luck!!