Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

prenant

i use to smoke alot.. im 4 weeks preggy can i just stop immediately??
7 Responses
3120992 tn?1342079830
yes and you should, The most serious complications — including stillbirth, premature delivery, and low birth weight — can be chalked up to the fact that nicotine and carbon monoxide work together to reduce your baby's supply of oxygen. Nicotine chokes off oxygen by narrowing blood vessels throughout your body, including the ones in the umbilical cord. It's a little like forcing your baby to breathe through a narrow straw. To make matters worse, the red blood cells that carry oxygen start to pick up molecules of carbon monoxide instead. Suddenly, that narrow straw doesn't even hold as much oxygen as it should. I hope you quit for your babies health if not for yours..
1806883 tn?1458321004
yes if you think can, it will definately be worth it for you but especially bub :)
2195822 tn?1341056911
Yes please do every cig is harmful. I quit both pregnancies the moment I had my positive test result. So worth it. The crap.about stopping suddenly is bad for baby is a lie.. Cos the clean non toxic air is worse than a cigarette? Yeah right..you're fine to stop..keep the good attitude up..its great you've decided you want to quit. Your baby will be healthier..you'll eliminate huge risks if miscarriage. Still birth and SIDS..to name a few. You will also Starr feelind better too trust me. Good luck xx
I have to disagree if u were a heavy smoker like i was my doc told me that if i quit cold turkey that early the withdrawal could cause a miscarriage so my advice talk to your doctor but cutting down to quit its deff a great thing and if u can quit in a month thats gteriffic!!!!
2195822 tn?1341056911
Definitely talk to a doc but I've never been told that. I've been told if I smoke to stop right away but I already had..maybe there's different advice where you live x
2195822 tn?1341056911
http://www.babycenter.com/404_im-pregnant-can-quitting-smoking-cold-turkey-hurt-me-or-my-b_1405526.bc
1983217 tn?1327607298
It really all depends on you. I dis around 4-5 weeks with no issue. This is my third child. I quit with my first tried everything wig my second but couldn't. Def keep your soc updated on progress. The biggest thing is it can put stress on your body DEPENDING on how your body adapts to it.  This pregnancy was no issue to go cold turkey my last was horrible. If you can't completely quick cut down as much as possible every bit helps.
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Pregnancy Community

Top Pregnancy Answerers
13167 tn?1327194124
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.