ramadan advice

For those of you that don't know ramadan is something muslims observe. For 30 days you cannot eat or drink between sunrise and sunset. It starts this weekend. My husband will be observing ramadan but I won't as im 6 months pregnant (pregnant women are exempt for obvious reasons) however I was talking to some of the women from my husbands side of the family and they were saying how they still did ramadan even though they were pregnant. I feel like im being made to feel guilty and worthless for putting my baby first. Im sorry but I will not risk my babys health when I don't have too. But these family members keep putting pressure on me and I feel like soon I will snap at them. How can I politely tell them to back off, as its my baby my decision? my husband is totally with me especially as it is extremely hot at the moment too!
Best Answer
Explain to them calmly that you do not want to risk your child's life. And how about since you cannot fast this year that maybe you give up something instead like Christians do for lent. Like maybe don't eat chocolate, or ice cream or some other indulgence. That way you are still giving something up, but won't be fasting
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
As exciting and amazing ramadan is. I am not fasting this month because I am 4 months pregnant, it will be hard. & Allah knows how much we can bear, don't let others judge you because you are excused. However, you can still do things like charity, reading quran, listening to lectures, and constantly remembering Allah and abstaining from negativity. & after you have your baby you can make up all the days you missed which is what i am doing. Which Is What Allah Orders Us to. & Allah knows best.
Helpful - 0
And my family understand that . They Dnt Want ME To Follow fasts.
Helpful - 0
Hey I M 5 month pregnant and I m not following ramadan this time. Bcoz it is so long from 5 am to 9pm. And I can not survive like this with my baby I need energy.
Helpful - 0
Thank you ladies :)
lucymarie I think thats a fantastic idea about giving something up for the 30 days that way I still feel part of it all and it will shut his family up. My husband has already explained I won't be observing but they continue to bring it up! I just don't really fancy any sarcastic or hurtful comments during ramamdan as its not about me its about God.
Helpful - 0
They SHOULDN'T use it to put you down....** I meant shouldn't
Helpful - 0
Explain to them that even though pregnant women are exempt they CHOSE to fast still with their babies... but you are CHOOSING to not which is perfectly acceptable and should be accepted. It is not wrong for you to do the best for your baby inspite of their ideas about how to observe Ramadan while being pregnant. :)
I hope they cut it out soon... for one their religious practices should be for them and God only they should use it to put others down or make you feel wrong or judged. You are doing great things for your child, you should be encouraged and respected for that!
Helpful - 0
He should  explain it to them, its his family.
Helpful - 0
Explain to them that they already know pregnant women are exempt. If you don't feel comfortable fasting and want to stay healthy for your baby that's no problem. You re still a strong women and I'm sure you take Ramadan just as seriously as they do.
Helpful - 0
Obviously religious observances are important to them, but they should understand that being pregnant it's not good for you to fast for the day. They need to accept that you are not trying to offend anyone but are merely doing what is in the best interest of your unborn child.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pregnancy Community