A
A
A
Close
Pregnancy Community
72.3k Members
8367118 tn?1442609020

screening test?

Has anyone opted out to get a screening test where they find out if your baby might have down syndrome?  Is there any other way besides bloodwork that shows you might carry a baby with DS ? I have an appt this Thursday for a scan and haven't had the blood work done.. can I still get it? Kinda worried I didn't..
29 Responses
We opted out because of personal reasons but there are 'soft markers' for DS a sonographer can pick up in an ultrasound. The thing is just because baby may have one of these soft markers does mean they might have DS, its just an indication that it might be worth investigating further such as with a follow up amniothesis screening.
*doesn't mean they have DS
I didn't do it either because people told me that a lot of the time the tests come back positive even when they're not. To do more testing they pull some of your placenta out with a needle. It's very dangerous to the baby...
The amniothesis screening, where they insert the needle to collect some amniotic fluid, gives you a percentage rather then a yes or no. So it really just adds more information if baby already has some or one of the 'soft markers' e.g. lesions in the liver, renal pelvic dialation.
7174950 tn?1406664709
They measure the fluid at the back of babys head and it just says weather thes a risk or not low risk your baby doesn't have have a chance of down syndrome if its high then they will I think take a bit of fluid from around the baby from belly button they will just run test but have you had the scan 1?
7975661 tn?1403098918
They have a new blood test that actually is safer then the needle in the belly (sorry not sure what it is callled) and 100% safe compared to the risk that other injection has.
Have an Answer?
Top Pregnancy Answerers
13167 tn?1327197724
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.