Pregnancy Forum

seizure while pregnant

my wife is 7 weeks pregnant. She also has epilepsy. She had a seizure today, the same day we saw the heartbeat for the first time. I am very obviously concerned for our baby (i am concerned for my wife too, but we've been dealing with the epilepsy since the beginning of our relationship).   She has seizure very infrequently - maybe 1 or 2 a year if that.

Beyond the risk of falling and inuring herself and the baby - are there any other risks associated with a seizure while pregnant?  Is the seizure itself at all harmful?

We plan to contact our doctors (neurologist and obgyn) in the morning to let them know.
Hi!
Epilepsy and pregnancy are a difficult combination!  Your wife is lucky to have a supportive spouse to help her through.  I'm glad to know that you notified her doctors right away--that is definitely the right thing to do!

Sometimes the dosage requirements for seizure medications changes during pregnancy, and most doctors are usually walking the tight rope of trying to keep the dosage as low as possible while also keeping the seizure activity to a minimum.

Neither seizures nor seizure medications are "good" for the baby, but most women with seizure disorders have good outcomes.  Your doctors' job will be to manage the dosage of the medications tightly, and having all the information from you/your wife will be crucial.  You can be most helpful in managing the seizures should they occur.
Try to prevent your wife from injuring herself with a fall, and if she does fall, make sure to elevate her right hip with a folded towel or small pillow ( tip her to the left side) and turn her head to the side to help her breathe.  

Make sure and document her symptoms and let the doctors know what is going on, and you will have done your job!

Good luck and congratulations!
Dr B
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.