should i lose weight while pregnant?

Hi everyone,
So, i had my first child almost five years ago. I gained about 65lbs with her. After I had her, I never lost it and ended up gaining more, unfortunately.
Since then, I've had two miscarriages. I just recently found out that I am pregnant, only 4.5 weeks along, and I'm very scared that my weight will cause problems.
Before I got pregnant this time, I had lost 17lbs just from eating right and squeezing in a workout whenever I had the chance.
I'm just wondering, is it okay for me to continue to try to lose weight while I'm pregnant? I'm worried that it will hurt the baby if I do, and I'm worried it will hurt the baby if I don't.
I am not concerned with looks at this point, I just don't want to lose another pregnancy.  
Has anyone else ever lost weight while pregnant? I mean, aside from it being from terrible morning sickness..
Thanks so much for any advice!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
You shouldn't try to lose weight while pregnant, but eat healthy and continue exercising (not over exerting yourself of course) and all will be fine. Trying to lose weight during pregnancy is just as bad as being overweight, so I'd just continue what you're doing, and if you lose weight, then it's not from anything unhealthy.
Helpful - 0
I have lost 28 lbs so far I'm 14weeks. My dr just told me to quit losing weight but ok not doing it on purpose its from where im so sick
Helpful - 0
Yeah, i'm at 201 right now. I have been steadily losing for the last couple of months and now that I'm pregnant, I just feel like I shouldn't stop because being overweight would be worse than losing the weight.
I have an appt with my doc today. I just wanted to see if anyone else has ever had to go through this.
Helpful - 0
U should always consult ur doctor before starting any diet.... I have gained 18lb n i m only 23wks... I had miscarriage b4 n i gained almost similar amount of weight within 11wks... But i had to loose all of tht b4 trying again.... If u r worried try eating healthy instead of eating sweets or fatty... I actually have gained weight due to tht i eat sweet n sugary stuff coz thts wht i crave.... I tried my best not to gain but yet i have....

Coz i had mc b4 i m not able to do much workout... If u r over weight ur doctor should be able to help u by finding dietian etc for u and provide extra help.... Take care n do not try anything until ur doc say so....
Helpful - 0
I lost 10 pounds and was told by my doctor I needed to gain weight talk to your doctor to find out what is best for you I weighed 180 before pregnancy so I was on the larger side
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pregnancy Community