Aa
A
A
A
Close
Pregnancy Community
72.4k Members

smoking and weight gain

I managed to quit smoking finally a little over a week now. I'm 28 weeks now. Now I worry about my weight. I was working on losing weight when I got preg lost over 200 pounds was at 197 when I got prey. Now I'm up to 225. My doctor told me to cut back on food but if I eat any less I'll be starving myself. Is 28 pounds a lot to gain by 29 weeks? I'm worried I won't lose it.
3 Responses
4715985 tn?1371582997
Weight gain is a big issue when u quit smoking. But in the long run its much healthier for you and bubs. Ive read of ladies on here that gained 60lbs + during there pregnancy and it sheds off pretty quickly after birth. I wouldnt worry about it, hopefully u plan on breastfeeding which helps a lot. While breastfeeding ur uterus conyracts which is how a lot of women lose there pregnancy weight within the first month to two months of delivery. Eat healthy and drink lots of water. Avoid caffeine or sugars and youll be fine :) dont starve yourself or youll end up having high blood pressure which is not good especially during pregnancy. It can bring on preterm labor.
I agree, I think weight gain is preferred to smoking. Congrats on quitting! Also on loosing so much weight before you got pregnant. Whatever you gain now you can loose later.

Your weight gain so far probably is on the high side for having started at 197. But if your blood sugar is okay then I would say keep doing what you're doing. You're 28 weeks, so have you gotten your results back from you gestational diabetes test yet? I would use that as a guide. If you're in the clear then eat when you're hungry!
Yea I had the test done 3 weeks ago haven't heard anything so I guess I'm okay.
Have an Answer?
Top Pregnancy Answerers
13167 tn?1327194124
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.