Pregnancy Forum

taking medroxyprogest if u are pregnant

hi, the doctor prescribed me medroxyprogest for 5 days for having irregular periods. a few days later i took a pregnancy test and it came out positive. i was wondering if the medication will have any affect on the foetus. answers will be greatly appreciated. thank you.
Hi!
Congratulations!  The most common reason for amenorrhea is pregnancy!
Your doctor should remember that!  The medroxyprogesterone acetate is harmless.  It is not something we would normally prescribe on purpose for a pregnant woman, but it won't harm the baby.  I don't think it will work either!  It may be awhile before you have your period again--nine months!

Good luck!
Dr B
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.