Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

tanning beds?

Im only 6weeks& 5 days, do you think its safe to use tanning beds. I have heard mixed opionions about it?
14 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Tanning beds are very bad for you in the first place and even worse when your pregnant. I would steer clear but no matter what anyone else says best advice is to ask your doctor about it, good luck :)
Helpful - 0
No. It is unsafe to tan while pregnant. Even on the warning labels on the bed it says not to use while pregnant. Get a spray tan or something.
Helpful - 0
If you want to cook your baby.
Tanning beds can fry your ovaries.
Helpful - 0
They are in no way shape or form safe to use while pregnant.
Helpful - 0
No sadly. I wish I'm so pale.
Helpful - 0
8196769 tn?1397670669
Nope ain't safe from what I been told it's worse than the sun.  And it ***** I don't tan I just turn bright red it *****. But that's what you get from having a irish dad. Some times wish I took after my mother her tan native American skin and her dark hair but I am the spitting female version of my daddy
Helpful - 0
Your only 6 weeks so you need to wait until what they call the miscarrying stage is over which is 13 weeks to lay in the sun or spray tan but NO TANNING BEDS
Helpful - 0
7381903 tn?1391464888
Doesn't even sound safe for you period.
Helpful - 0
Ummm no....
Helpful - 0
7463033 tn?1399311106
I use to tan every so often but quit as soon as I found out I was pregnant . It can cause a lot of damage to a growing baby . My MIL said she used the tanning bed the whole time she was pregnant 20+ years ago && tries to convince me to get in but this is coming from a woman who thought drinking liquor during pregnancy was good for the baby . So , no definitely not .
Helpful - 0
I just had to add my, NOOOOOO, to this. Tanning beds are bad for you, especially while pregnant.
Helpful - 0
7827642 tn?1396958758
I wish they were safe but unfortunately they are not. I had planned on getting a tanning bed subscription for this summer until I found out im pregnant so I'll be rocking the pale skin this summer lol!
Helpful - 0
It isn't even safe to spray tan as they don't know what effect it has on baby breathing in the tan solution. Safest option is a lotion tan like st Tropez or fake bake. It honestly isn't worth the guilt you will feel if anything happens to your baby.
Helpful - 0
7721203 tn?1468443229
say NO to the tanning bed! I can't lie.. I used to get in every now & then b/c I do tan SO easy.. it was just easier to get in & out than suffer being outside in our hot, humid, miserable summer weather in SC.

as soon as I found out I was pregnant (Feb. 28th) I knew I was giving that up this year lol I've found some AWESOME tanning lotions for my body & face I plan on using. not getting a spray tan though, mainly b/c I don't want to inhale it, and I tan naked lol! SO my fiancé will be helping me apply it. ((((:

p.s. the tanning bed won't fry your ovaries. that's just false. it's NOT the right kind of radiation & it's not enough heat. (I'm an x-ray tech. & we had to know those types of radiations up & down) yes, you can burn, but it's not enough to harm your insides. is it dangerous? yes. skin cancer is the issue. even spray tans have been rumored to have cyanide poison in them.. you hear all kinds of stuff..

SO, I wear lots of spf if I'm outside, and I'll no longer be using the tanning bed.. these tanning lotions are just easier to use, without any risk at all.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Pregnancy Community

Top Pregnancy Answerers
13167 tn?1327194124
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.