weight gain and showing in pregnancy.....

I am 14 weeks pregnant and I went to get my first trimester screening last Friday and the baby looks great and they were able to get a wonderful view of the boy parts!!! YAY anyways once I was done with my scan they weighed me and I weigh 114 which is right at what I was when TTC. My concern is that I was 119 at my last doctors appt which was 2.5 weeks ago! I am not having any vomiting or really any neausea at all so I dont know whats going on? Also and please do not judge me but I have not been able to completely kick the smoking habit. I have made progress but am having trouble maybe due to stress! Can anyone give me insight on ways that you quit when you were pregnant and why I am not gaining weight? By this time in my first pregnancy I had gained about 10 pounds and was visibly pregnant now you cant even tell... HELP!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Nibble on candy preferably sugar-free and/or peppermints whenever you crave a cigarette. Even chewing gum can help "sometimes".... I was a smoker before ttc. I haven't smoked since May! :))
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
I am 15 weeks and have also lost weight nothing. Major but might be that baby is taken all of the nutions .... as with smoking as soon as I found out I was pregnant I stopped I just tried to concentrate more in. Baby needs then my own ... android be honest.I  Found it really easy . But every ones different ... 3 months down the lane just the smell of smoke makes me feel sick ... defo goin to stick to no smoking once ive had by bubble ... good luck
Helpful - 0
I did not gain an ounce until week 15 of pregnancy. However I know that smoking can lead to low birth weight babies so you may gain less weight while pregnant and smoking because your baby weighs less. I'm not saying this as judgement just stating the facts.
My OB told me hungry or not to put something in my mouth every hour even if it was just a carrot. It seems to work I'm finally gaining weight. I'm not a smoker just not super hungry
Helpful - 0
Thanks ladies!!! I think that once I feel him move I will feel guilty. I feel guilty now. As for the weight issue it just scares me because I am so exhausted and I have a panic disorder which I hadnt had an attack since April but they started to flair up after a hospital visit last Wednesday! I was in there for a viral infection (I thought it was the flu although I got the flu shot) but it was a negative test so thats good, but they were going to discharge me and did one last set of vitals and my blood pressure dropped low so it set me off thinking something was wrong with baby or me. I guess I just have wierd fears due to anxiety. DH left to get some food because they said I could eat and I think when he left it set off me feeling abandoned! he would never do that but it freaked me out!
Helpful - 0
I don't really know much about your weight gaining/losing. I only lost a pound between my 9w and 13w appointments. And have been gaining or staying the same since. As for the smoking. When I found out I was pregnant I dent think I would quit. But I did start to cut back and only share one with my bf every once in a while. Around 4 months though I quit for good. as soon as I started to feel him kick I felt so guilty for even taking a hit off someone else's cigarette. But like the other ladies said just try to cut back slowly only when something really stresses you out or makes you really angry.
Helpful - 0
oh but i left out the last part...im gonna stop smoking when im just hanging out / relaxing. theres no need to light up when i go over to a friends apartment and we're not doing anything but watching tv..things like that. sorry to blow up your post!!
Helpful - 0
i like what smjmekg said..except i'd reverse it. try to cut out the ones that are just for boredom or an oral fixation first. i understand those cigarettes in the car, during coffee, after eating, etc.. are the hardest to cut out. so thats what i would do. cut out the ones that aren't a regular pattern FIRST. then cut back one regular cig at a time.

im going to try to quit somewhat now. what im going to do is allow myself to smoke in the car when im by myself without ariana, when im out of town with DH to get away, when im drinking, and if my football team (auburn) wins that national championship (im praying)!! its hard for me to not smoke in the car when im alone, and almost impossible for me to drink without smoking. and then of course i gotta have a victory cigarette. :)
Helpful - 0
every pregnancy is gonna be diffferent. did your ob/midwife say anything about you losing weight? i think its perfectly normal for it to fluctuate early on, and if he/she didn't say anything then i wouldn't be worried either.

as far as smoking goes, i understand how hard it is, but you've got to quit for that boy. it increases the risk of SIDS by a lot, not to mention other things such as asthma. i know you know that, but just a little friendly reminder. when i found out i was pregnant it took me about a week to quit. honestly, i just threw my pack out to the window when i was in the car (almost a whole pack)...and i didn't allow myself to buy them again until after ariana was born. have everyone else refrain when they are around you as well, it's too hard to quit with people smoking in front of you.
Helpful - 0
You may not be eating as much as you should, or you're just lucky and not gaining really. I personally don't trust a dr's scale because they always come up different than mine, and I know mine's got a good battery and doesn't have fifty people stepping on it a day. With DS I lost a little weight and started gaining after I quit smoking, probably cause I was keeping my mouth busy, lol. This time I didn't gain a thing until about 23 weeks, and now at 39 weeks 3 days I've gained 35 lbs...NO clue how I've gained that much in 16 weeks, but yeah...if the dr doesn't seem worried, I wouldn't worry too much yet.

As far as the smoking goes, with DS they got nasty and made me feel sick so I was able to quit easily. This time was harder. What I always suggest, pregnant or not, is to start cutting out those "habit" smokes. Like if you have one with coffee in the morning, first thing when you wake up, right after eating...try to stop the ones that are just your normal every day times...OR you can try what I did this time. I smoked the last one of the pack one night, the next day (it helped that I was home with DS and had no car to get them) I didn't have any, DH doesn't get home til after five, and by that time going so long without one, YES I still WANTED one, but wouldn't LET myself have one...SO I toughed it out the first day and each day after was easier and easier...just keep thinking of the baby in your tummy. That helped me out too. You can do it, it's hard but YOU CAN DO IT! Good luck, message me if you need to chat!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pregnancy Community