Pregnancy Forum

will the depo shot effect a pregnency?

Okay so I'm on the depo shot. They don't check you every time you go in there if your pregnent or not. What would happen if you were pregnent and got the shot, without knowing you were pregnent? how would that effect the baby? would it cause birth defects?

If you have been receiving Depo on time you should not be pregnant when receiving a subsequent injection.  You may have noticed, if you have ever had to receive and injection more than 7 days beyond your next injection due date, a pregnancy test is performed.  

In studies looking at Depo administration in early pregnancy there have been no associations with fetal anomalies, poor fetal outcomes, or pregnancy loss.  So, a woman has nothing to fear if she was to mistakenly receive Depo Provera early in a pregnancy.

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
It is possible though very unlikely that you would get pregnant on the shot. Although if you were pregnant and got the shot, I read on another website that its pretty much like a chemical abortion. Talk to your doctor right away!
My sisters on the depo shot and she might be pregnant, the best thing to do would be to talk to your doctor about it. It shouldn't cause an abortion, but it may cause the baby to have problems yes, although not definetly. As i said ask your doc and next time you go for your depo shot, if your unsure then tell the doc and they should do a pregnancy test.
Hope this helps :)
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.