Prostate Cancer Forum

Icelandic Angelica

I was diagnosed with BPH a year ago and was given Flomax. I had to go to Iceland and forgot my Flomax. My friend was taking a local product available over the counter called SAGAPRO made from a herb called Angelica.
I used it and to my suprise...it worked. It even works better than Flomax!
Do you know why this herb is so good for the prostate?
Are their any side effects....I have noticed I am breathing better and also sleeping better. I have not used my inhaler since I have been on the sagapro.
clark007
Angelica archangelica  is a plant that grows in many places throughout the world.  It has been used for medicinal purposes since the 10 century. It is used as a herbal anti-inflammatory, diuretic, expectorant and diaphoretic, and remedy for colds, flu, influenza, hepatitis, arthritis, indigestion, coughs, chronic bronchitis, headaches,  fever, colic, travel sickness, rheumatism, bacterial and fungal infections and diseases of the urinary organs.

It may be that the anti androgen (that is testosterone) properties of the root may be the cause of the improvement of your BPH symptoms.  While I am not an expert in the use of this medication for the treatment of BPH, it seems that  it is available as an over the counter supplement in parts of Europe.
Evidently it is considered to be relatively safe,   but as with all herbal medications, it should be used with caution.  This herb may be contraindicated in individuals with active bleeding (eg, peptic ulcer, intracranial bleeding). Use with caution in individuals with a history of bleeding, hemostatic disorders, or drug-related hemostatic problems. It should not be used if you are taking anticoagulant medications, including warfarin, aspirin, aspirin-containing products, NSAIDs, or antiplatelet agents (eg, ticlopidine, clopidogrel, dipyridamole).  I am not sure of what other potential drug interactions.
I would discuss the use of this drug with your urologist and you should mention it whenever a healthcare professional inquires about the medications you are taking.  There are commercially available medications in the US which can improve your BPH symptoms in a similar manner which are FDA approved.
I hope this is helpful,
AT
Thanks for your answer....I have been reading the lecture on the sagamedica web site by Prof. Sigmundur Gudbjarnason of The University of Iceland. He has been researching the fact that some tumors have been shrunk by the angelica that grows in Iceland and in fact the Iceland angelica seems to be stronger than other angelica found in other parts of the world.
I hope they research this more. The angelica herb seems to work on me and I am telling my friends to try it.
A report from Missouri Medicine argues that, despite earlier media coverage, increased omega-3 fatty acid intake does not increase prostate cancer risk.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.
10 prostate cancer misconceptions debunked.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize