Prostate Cancer Forum

Prostate cancer And bone Scan

Recently my dad was diagnosed with PCa. His Psa was 5.9 and Gleason score of 7 (3+4). He is asymptomatic with has no bone pain. In considering Brachytherapy the cancer clinic recommended a bone scan.  During the scan the radiographer must have saw something as she asked him to go and wash his pelvic area( I am assuming possible contamination). She then proceeded to take pictures to the radiologist from there she went on to take another set of pictures as well as a side view. The scans were taken last week (Wednesday) and we are waiting in agony for  the resultsas eeven more concearned due to the radiographer's actions. We have called the clinic an they said results could be here today or week from today.  My question is what length of time does it take to get results?  If Mets would have been detected would the radiologist ensure we are called call immediately? I understand mets with his numbers is unlikely but could it be mets from another undiagnosed cancer?.   Thanks Anxiously waiting any thoughts!!!!
The turnaround time from test to report vary from institution to institution. I don't think it would be unreasonable for results to be released with 5 days of having some diagnostic radiology performed. Having said that, with a Gleason 5.9, bone metastasis related to prostate cancer would be unlikely. Although there has been evidence of the limited utility in bone scan in detecting micometastasis. To note, lung and breast (with the addition of prostate) have an affinity to spread to the bone.

Thank you for your question and good luck.

Sincerely,

Ashutosh (Ash) K. Tewari, MD
www.cornellroboticprostate.org

This forum is for information only. The contents, such as graphics, images, text, quoted information and all other materials ("Content") are provided for reference only, do not claim to be complete or exhaustive or to be applicable to any particular individual's medical condition. Users should always consult with a qualified and licensed physician or other medical care provider. Users are warned to follow the advice of their physicians without delay regardless of anything read in this forum. The Weill Cornell Prostate Cancer Institute assumes no duty to correct or update the Content nor to resolve or clarify any inconsistent information which may be a part of the Content. Reliance on any Content is solely at the User's risk. This forum may contain health or medically related materials considered sexually explicit. Users are warned that if they may be offended by such Content, an alternate source of information should be found. Publication of information or reference in forum to specific sources such as specific products, procedures, physicians, treatments, or diagnoses are for information only and are not endorsements of the Weill Cornell Prostate Cancer Institute.
A report from Missouri Medicine argues that, despite earlier media coverage, increased omega-3 fatty acid intake does not increase prostate cancer risk.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.
10 prostate cancer misconceptions debunked.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize