Prostate Cancer Community
966 Members

Sharp rectal/prostate pain, but am I too young for this??

I am a 31 yr old caucasian male, with a healthy diet and no high-risk behaviors that could be associated with the following symptoms.  Bowl cancer does run in my father's side of the family, however.

Occasionally I get a sharp, stabbing pain in my lower rectum, about where my prostate would be according to the charts.  The pain is so intense, I lose my breath and cannot move, sometimes dropping things and needing to crouch or grip an object to keep from falling over.  It honestly feels like somebody has stabbed a knife up into my rectum.  This does not happen regularly by any means, but at least a few times or more a year, enough that I have paid attention.  It used to happen a lot more when I was about 18, when it first started happening.

Recently I checked my prostate myself, and felt a very hard, very small lump which was rather uncomfortable, if not outright painful, to touch.  

I have otherwise no abnormal symptoms that I can think of. Normal stool, normal bowl movements, no blood, no discharge, no urinary or erectile problems, etc..  The only other symptom I have, which for all I know is unrelated, is occasional severe heartburn just below and inside of my right pectoral muscle, under the ribs.  I have been thru a bevvy of tests regarding that, so far nothing...

My question is should I see my doctor about a prostate exam or G.I. exam even though I am so young?

I read about your problem..lower rectal pain in young males is a well described phenomenon in medical literature but has no underlying sinister pathology.
You do need to see a surgeon for a per rectal examination to evaluate your prostate..self examination is notrecommended at all.
Hi Bobby
Just a suggestion, and I might be well off the mark, but have a look on sites for CPPS (chronic pelvic pain syndrome!)
I've had that problem since my early 20's, and no doctor has ever had a clue. Then I found the answer in a sidebar in Men's Health magazine: Apparently it can happen if semen backs up into the prostate due to interrupted ejaculation, reverse gravity position, etc, and then hardens (could be hours to days later). They suggested over-hydrating and then "rubbing it out", but I usually just take a couple of Advil and sleep on my stomach.
I am having the exact same problem except I'm only 17.  Really curious to what the problem is.
I'm a 31 male. I've been having this pain for at least 3-4 years, but can't pinpoint it exactly. It only occurs a few times a year, but when it hits - oh man - it disables me...just like how you described it. I got worried and thought it was prostate cancer but I educated myself and see that it could be many other causes.

I had an odd childhood at home and I developed some weird nervous attributes like holding my urine for too long and always feeling worried that I had to complete something before I used the bathroom, well into my late 20's. I am trying to break the 20+ year old habit now that I am relaxing more and not stressed from a job and family issues. I've also been guilty of stopping an ejaculation several times before when I was younger - just didn't know the harm it could could cause down the road.

I'm going to find a GI and get a prostate exam just for peace of mind. I have the insurance so I should use it for things like this and try to nip problems in the bud.

WHAT is amazing and scary, is that the other major pain I've had in my life is an upward shooting pain in my left pectoral area. Started at around age 18-20. Don't get it much anymore, and have been told it's muscular related - I've been boxing and in some of the best shape of my athletic life so I think all my muscles are stretched out etc. Before my ACL surgery a few years ago, they decided to do stop the surgery, and check me out with an EKG test - my results were okay.
Someone needs to find out what this is. I'm 29, and for about 3 years now, I've had sharp flashes of pain in my prostate area about once every other day. I also experience the same thing less frequently in the left side of my chest where I have to immediately stop a breath and start over. These aren't random symptoms. This is obviously a very specific thing.
A report from Missouri Medicine argues that, despite earlier media coverage, increased omega-3 fatty acid intake does not increase prostate cancer risk.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.
10 prostate cancer misconceptions debunked.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize