Pulmonary Hypertension Forum

Post-Partum preeclampsia and Pulmonary Hypertension

Hi - I am a 30 year old healthy female. Had a child 3.5 years ago with uncomplicated pregnancy and natural labor. Ended up in the hospital 2 days postpartum with pulmonary edema - postpartum preeclampsia was diagnosis. I had no risk factors for Pre-E (was 27, Caucasian, no family History of PreE, healthy weight, low blood pressure) Although The hypertension resolved quickly, 5 months later I got an echocardiogram which showed that I had "mild pulmonary hypertension." This has since resolved on all subsequent echoes - no significant findings from stress tests or cardiac MRI. All autoimmune disorders have been ruled out and I do not have factor 5. But because of this history, I have been advised it may be too risky to have another pregnancy. I have regained my health and am back to normal, running, biking etc and can now control some significant stressors that were in my life during pregnancy. Do you think I shouldn't risk it still?
Hello and welcome to the forum.

There is nothing that you told me that makes me think that you have (or ever had) pulmonary hypertension.  For a physician to tell you no more children on that basis to me is irresposible (I am not commenting on the obstetric issues---ie pre-ecclampsia, etc).

For your own piece of mind, however, (and perhaps for your OB's as well), you may want to see a physician who specializes in pulmonary hypertension.  Hopefully, he/she will arrive at the same conclusion and you can move forward without concerns.

Best,

Dr. Rich
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.