Aa
A
A
A
Close
Radiology Community
544 Members
11026756 tn?1451826527

Is it possible for an MRI to pull metal shavings into your brain?

I am getting an MRI soon but im scared the MRI might pull some random unknown metal in my eyes or metal in my nose up to my brain from like shaving, cutting with a knife and maybe rubbing my face or something...im really scared and need input, please!!! :(
1 Responses
11548417 tn?1506080564
MR imaging involves the use of a strong magnetic field. This magnetic field pulls on many metal objects. Thus, for safety reasons, the MR staff must determine if you unknowingly have metal in your body. Some patients may have small pieces of metal in their eyes, a metal implant, a prosthetic device that may contain metal, surgical clips or other implanted objects that may be susceptible to the magnetic field. After asking you a few questions, x-ray imaging may be necessary to screen for metallic items prior to the MR examination.

If they don't ask you, you ask them if there is reason to do an x-ray check before the MRI. Once you are cleared for MRI, there is no reason to be scared anymore.
Have an Answer?
Top General Health Answerers
11548417 tn?1506080564
Netherlands
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.