Radiology Community
483 Members

Lympnode Neck Ultrasound result interpretation

Hey,
I received an ultrasound for my neck to check my thyroid. I requested copies of my results the next day but my follow up isn't for month. My thyroid read normal but for lymph node reading was not.  
It said: Bilateral symmetric 1 cm short axis level 2 lymph nodes, potentially reactive. Clinical follow up.Impression: Symmetric bilateral cervical lymph nodes, which can be followed clinically

Any insight would be helpful thank you
Hi, I do ultrasound. Level II just refers to the area on the neck where the lymph nodes are and potentially reactive just means that they are possibly enlarged due to an infection. Your lymph nodes can swell up in your neck when you're body is fighting off an infection. At my hospital we don't consider 1cm as an enlarged lymph node, but some doctors consider anything over 0.5cm as enlarged. It also depends how the node looked visually as well. If it had abnormal borders, that could be a reason they want a follow up. This is nothing usually to worry about. Hope this helped.