Radiology Community
524 Members

MRI contrast leak, arm hurts with lump after 3 weeks

I went for an MRI with and without contrast three weeks ago. The tech could not find my vein and finally when she did, she started injecting the contrast and then said she'd blown my vein. When I asked her what it meant, she said, oh your arm will get bruised. She then called in another technician who found another vein, injected the contrast and the test was done. When I got home, I noticed that my arm was bruised and swollen on the side that the vein was blown. It's been three weeks and my arm still hurts to the touch and it's still swollen. The swelling has probably gone down a bit, but not completely. It was bruised only for a week but the swelling and pain is still there. Did anyone have this happen to them? What did your doctor do as a follow up if it did happen? How long did it take for your arm to get back to normal? And also does this mean the contrast agent is still in my body? Will it cause serious complications? I am extremely worried!
Also I am travelling in a couple of days on a long flight and am worried that this could be a blood clot. Could this turn into DVT being on the long flight? I am obsessing over this and don't know what to do! someone's reassurance would be very helpful.
I know this was a couple of years ago but did you get any answers?? I have the exact same thing and I'm going crazy!