Radiology Community
526 Members

Thoracic hernias possible without accident?

Since I had 2 accidents, I am suffering from chronical back pain
Before these accidents, I never experienced any discomfort or pain in my constitution regarding to the areas described. I had never suffered any back pain before. I have taken ballet classes from the age of 8 until I was almost 18 and went to university. In my whole medical history, I never was treated for back pain (until the 1st accident).
1) The first accident, occurring on May 15th 2007: Descending, I fell down from a steep stairs (tiled) at my work, landing on my back, 6 - 8 steps down, while carrying a heavy briefcase.

May 23 2007: RX found no injuries, CT neither.

After experiencing many episodes of pain in the cervical-thoracic transition area and paresthesia over both legs, resulting in several periods of working incapacity, the lack of a proven cause for the sustained pain (and  the resulting psychological effects of disbelieve at work…) made me decide to be subjected to more medical examinations.
May 2008: BONE SCINTIGRAPHY found no abnormalities, so the pain was ‘probably muscle-related, due to the shock of the impact after falling’.
June 2008: EEG found no abnormalities.
June 2008: NCS found no abnormalities.

Finally, the exact location where I always had been indicating the pain coming from , was proven trauma by the MRI, 14 months after the accident.
July 14th 2008: MRI Cervical-Thoracic found
• T8-T9: central discus hernia (with protrusion toward front of spinal cord, exercising light compression on it.)
• T9-T10: Smaller discus hernia (median to paramedian left) protruding closely to front of spinal cord

Now, my question (contact me to get url where to download from):
After examining the images of this MRI (20080714) and reading this anamnesis, would you consider the traumas found:
A) with high probability, to be originating from the accident that happened 14 months before? Why?
B) with high probability, to be originating from a moment that precedes that of the accident? Why?
C) not providing enough information to make choice A) or B) with high probability?
Why?

2) To provide more data and to be complete, I also included the 2nd MRI, made after my second accident.
Also hereafter briefly described…
The L4-L5 hernia originates from this accident, says my medical specialist.
Can you agree on this too?
The second accident happened on September 23th 2008, when riding to work on a bicycle, being 'hit' by another bicyclist, ending up flat on my back on the tarmac, after making an unwanted somersault.

October 15th 2008: MRI Thoracic-Lumbar
Results found (here the summary)
• D8-D9: discus hernia (in narrow contact with anterior side of thoracic myelon).
• D9-D10: discus hernia (median to paramedian, at left in narrow contact with ventrolateral side of thoracic myelon).
• L4-L5: discus hernia left foraminal, at left in narrow contact with emerging root L4 left.

Following examinations:

February 23th 2009: bilateral L5 suffering (L>R) and root suffering S1 left.

December 8th 2009: MRI Thoracic-Lumbar, requesting results if evolution of traumata were visible compared to previous MRI (summary)
• D8-D9: discus hernia (unchanged aspect).
• D9-D10: discus hernia (slight improvement visible: confined regression of hernia).
• L4-L5: discus hernia (unchanged aspect) with longitudinal peripheral annulus fibrosus tear from paramedian left to almost extraforaminal left at level L4-L5.

Thank you for your time.
Hi, there is herniation of disc of the thoracic vertebrae. This could be due to the injury and herniation is possible without the injury. Depending on the severity of your symptoms your doctor may prescribe pain medications and may advise physical therapy. In the meantime, Avoid those movements or exercises that aggravate your pain. Try not to lift weights or bend as this can worsen your symptoms. Try applying local analgesic creams. Place ice over the painful area every 1-2hrs for pain relief. Sleep on a firm surface with a pillow under the knees and take OTC pain medications like Tylenol (acetaminophen) or ibuprofen. Ensure to take them after food. Regards.