Radiology Forum

Cancer Risk from numerous CT scans

50 yr old female.  When I was 32 had head/neck ct scan, 33 chest ct, abdominal ct, pelvic ct.  2008 head ct w contrast and chest xray, 2012 head and face ct.  At some point during all this had a barium study of the small intestines and a barium study of the colon.  

I try to avoid xrays now, but many of these were unavoidable.

I wish I had asked for alternative testing back during the earlier days.  These were not emergencies so I would have thought an mri would have been better.  2008 and 2012 were emergency situations so I understand those.

Thank you for any insight.

PS  Just had a chest xray because I was discharged from ER in 2008 and told all was fine.  Recently requested my mri results for a different problem to compare and they sent the results from my chest xray as well.  That showed nodular density, prob a nipple but suggested follow up.  Noted Hypoaeration.  Had the followup today (five years later) and the tech commented on my long lungs.  I think she had to take two pics to get all my lungs in (from the backi).  I'm 5'7" 110 lbs.  Is this something bad???
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.