Rare Diseases Community

High Blood Platelet Count

My kid sister has a blood platelet count of 3066.0 K/uL
Her Hemoglobin count is 13g/dl
She is only 22 years old

After a lot of tests and check ups, a sample of her blood has been send for BCR ABL.
Pneumonia was negative
Typhoid was negative
Can this be also due to Hepatitis C ?
Or can the count go so high if she is carrying microbes which are dormant?
What other possibilities have to be checked / looked for ?

She has just started (Since Tuesday, June 22, 2009):-
Hondrea 500 mg Cap  Genric Name: Hydroxyurea  
Zyloric 100 mg Tab Genric Name: Allopurinol  
Escoprin 150mg Tab (Delayed Release) (Aspirin)

She is otherwise normal and her tests have no signs of Spleen Enlargement!
There are virtually no symptoms or ailments.
The high platelet count itself was discovered accidentally during a general checkup.

I am desperate in knowing what are the chances it is not "ONCO". What other tests/ treatments/ cure can be suggested?

Thanks for writing to the forum!
Platelet count is often increased in inflammatory conditions like rheumatoid arthritis. It is also increased in some bone marrow disorders like myeloproliferative disorders.
Myeloproliferative disorders include:
• Polycythemia vera -- occurs when the bone marrow produces too many blood cells, especially red blood cells
• Essential thrombocytosis -- occurs when the body produces too many platelet cells, which help blood to clot. Clots can block blood vessels leading to heart attack or stroke.
• Primary or idiopathic myelofibrosis (also known as myelosclerosis) -- occurs when the bone marrow produces too much collagen or fibrous tissue in the bone marrow. This reduces bone marrow's ability to produce blood cells.
• Chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML) -- cancer of the bone marrow that produces abnormal granulocytes (a type of white blood cell) in the bone marrow

www.medhelp.org/tags/show/123403/Chronic-myelogenous-leukemia-CML

Do discuss this with your hematologist.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

New study links cell phones to slightly increased cancer risk. Should you be concerned?
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.