Avatar universal

Invasive Candidas?

my 93 year old mother has been plagued with thrush and vaginal yeast infections for 6 months and nothing is working to halt the fungal infection.  Her doctor is unable to provide relief.  She is very anxious to return to her busy activities.  What more can she do than to take diffluken?  He just responds "she's about that age"!
2 Responses
Avatar universal
How is your mother? What initial diagnostic tests were done?Invasive candidiasis is a fungal infection that can occur when Candida yeasts enter the bloodstream and may be diagnosed through a blood culture. Complicated vuvovaginal candidiasis may be persistent or recurrent and may be due to  species other than Candida albicans. Seeking another doctor's opinion may also help. Take care and do keep us posted.
Avatar universal
I would change doctors.  There is an oral medication she can take. Has she tried the swish and swallow medication.  There is also a mint to suck on.  When it is in control gargling with vinegar may help.  There are many vaginal creams. Eating yogurt may also help.
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Rare Diseases Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
New study links cell phones to slightly increased cancer risk. Should you be concerned?
The first signs of HIV may feel like the flu, with aches and a fever.
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.