Rare Diseases Community

Ischemic Colitis

Why do I have Ischemic Colitis at age 22?

I am a 22 year old female. I was diagnosed with Ischemic Colitis one year ago. I had out of nowhere intense cramps, major sweating, turning super pale and bloody stool and sometimes only blood. I seriously thought I was going to black out and die. I went to a GI Dr who did a colonoscopy and confirmed it was Ischemic Colitis. He sent me to a hematologist and cardiologist since usually Ischemic Colitis is caused by an underlying problem such as a heart problem, cancer or blood clotting. My tests came back fine. Due to not being able to afford more testing and being frustrated with no answers, I quit going to the Dr's. Almost exactly one year later, April 2012 I had another 'episode' ..this time I was sound asleep only to be awoken by terrible pain and having the same 'episode' as a year ago. I went back to GI Dr, he confirmed again by colonoscopy its Ischemic Colitis in the same place...had the same testing done..so far test are coming back fine..this is good but also not good because I need answers. My Dr told me I can not quit getting testing done because Ischemic Colitis can be deadly. I understand that but I am getting in serious medical debt and I'm still NOT getting answers. I'm so young and Dr's are puzzled that I have it bc of my age. I'm scared that if I have another 'episode' I could die because they made it clear that my blood supply to my small intestine can be cut off & kill me...sheesh. I really need Dr. House and need some answers as to what my underlying problem so it can be fixed.
If you have Ischemic Colitis please share your experience with me.

Does anyone have Ischemic Colitis at such a young age and if so, what did your Dr do about it and what is your underlying problem that caused you to have it?

Let me also add that I do not smoke, I only drink on occasion, I'm not on birth control, I do not take any pills other than a daily vitamin. I say this so those of you replying don't have to ask.

Hi, u said u were dx;d with this, but were u treated?

Patients with mild to moderate ischemic colitis are usually treated with IV fluids, analgesia, and bowel rest (that is, no food or water by mouth) until the symptoms resolve.....
I have not gotten any treatments of any kind yet. This is my second episode of it. They thought it was possibly a one time thing but it wasn't. Because my test are coming back fine they are possibly sending me to the Mayo Clinic for in depth testing since it is a reoccuring problem. My episodes were nearly a year apart.
Hi I hate to hear  what you are going through especially at such a young age.I myself will turn 32 this year and I am facing they same delima with my medical bills, I have had 2 polips removed at 29, which stoped the bleeding but not the cramps or the frequency, I had another colonoscopy in Dec. and was told I had Undeterminded Colitis and refered to a specialist. Had another colonoscopy in Apr and now being told I have Ischemic Colitis, and getting an MRA done next. So we'll see what that turns out. I guess why I shared that with you is just don't get down, there are others out here that share in your pain. I will tell you, I don't smoke,drink, or do drugs except the many I have been perscribed. To be fare though my Dr. did say I was rare not only do I have the gut problems but I have kidneys stones, Barretts Esophagus, low Testosterone, and high triglycerides. Go figure a list that seems to get longer not shorter. I hope you get well soon. If I find anything out I will write you again. Good luck and God bless.

Hi...may I ask if u were having unusual amount of stress b4 each episode?

I am wondering if u may have more of a stress issue, and not colitis....since it was a yr apart????and not showing on the tests done so far.

Just a thought.
New study links cell phones to slightly increased cancer risk. Should you be concerned?
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.
How eating more salt may actually save your life.