Rare Diseases Community

Kidney Issue

I am a 25 year old female, 150 pounds, and exercise regularly. I have been having multiple health problems for four years shortly after having mono, and kidney stones which were a year and a half apart. Focusing on the kidneys they are constantly sore. When I eat certain foods, especially salty foods, i urinate even more frequently, and leak urine. I have been to a urologist and my bladder is perfectly healthy. I have been to a homeopathic doctor who has discovered all my problems stem from my kidneys, I was told my left kidney functions at 80% normal and my right at 92%. I have had other symptoms such as sore muscles, and hives. I do believe my kidneys are the reason for all of these symptoms. I use two pads a day, and urinate anywhere from 10 to 25 times a day. If I go out to a Mexican restaurant, I find myself up every hour of the night. Beverages and food with high sodium content also make my symptoms worse. I have been told I'm not diabetic, but have history, my father and maternal grandfather also have a  history of stones. In 2004 I had a stone stuck in my ureter for a few days, and finally went to the hospital to have something injected in to relieve pain. Other that that I do not know the cause of my stones.  I also am sensitive to sodium and feel my problem is worse depending on what I eat. One doctor at one pt also suggest something called renal tubular acidosis but I have yet to see a nephrologists. I hope you have some ideas for me. Thanks!
Hello k2bladder,

The following information would be of great help.
Renal tubular acidosis is a medical condition that involves an accumulation of acid in the body due to a failure of the kidneys to appropriately acidify the urine.When blood is filtered by the kidney, the filtrate passes through the tubules of the nephron, allowing for exchange of salts, acid equivalents, and other solutes before it drains into the bladder as urine. The metabolic acidosis that results from RTA may be caused either by failure to recover sufficient (alkaline) bicarbonate ions from the filtrate in the early portion of the nephron (proximal tubule) or by insufficient secretion of (acid) hydrogen ions into the latter portions of the nephron (distal tubule). Although a metabolic acidosis also occurs in those with renal insufficiency, the term RTA is reserved for individuals with poor urinary acidification in otherwise well-functioning kidneys. Several different types of RTA exist, which all have different syndromes and different causes.
This is relatively straightforward. It involves correction of the acidemia with oral sodium bicarbonate or sodium citrate. This will correct the acidemia and reverse bone demineralisation. Hypokalemia and urinary stone formation and nephrocalcinosis can be treated with potassium citrate tablets which not only replace potassium but also inhibit calcium excretion and thus do not exacerbate stone disease as sodium bicarbonate or citrate may do.

Refer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renal_tubular_acidosis

Best
New study links cell phones to slightly increased cancer risk. Should you be concerned?