Aa
A
A
A
Close
Rare Diseases Community
2.56k Members

Lumps on fingers by the joint

I have several small long bumps on my fingers, mostly by the middle joint. They almost look like long healed scars, but i havent had any injuries to my hands. I'm very worried they are a parasite because one is noticeably larger recently and in it getting bigger, I then looked closer at my other finger joints and found five other smaller ones. The smaller ones are all straight lines, where the one that's bigger is wavy, reminds me of a worm - which is why I thought of a parasite. Also I was in South Africa late last year, so that might be some of my worry. None are cycst like, none hurt, but they are all hard like something is under my skin. What could it be?
1 Responses
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi,
How are you? Are there other symptoms present? This could also be due to Heberden's nodes, which are hard or bony swellings that can develop in the joints closest to the end of the fingers and toes. These are signs of osteoarthritis and are caused by formation of osteophytes of the joint cartilage. It can be a response to repeated trauma at the joint. This is more common in women and usually develops in middle age. It can start with sudden pain, redness, or numbness which eventually subsides. Another kind, Bouchard's nodes  which are similar bony growths in the middle joints of the fingers may also be present. Have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation. Take care and regards.
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
New study links cell phones to slightly increased cancer risk. Should you be concerned?
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.