Rare Diseases Community

Madelungs, Dercums Disease, Lipomatosis

Does anyone here have Madelung's Disease [also called Dercum's Disease or Lipomatosis? The disease is characterized by huge fatty areas on ones body, and generally occurs above the waist and in older male alcoholics.  In my case, I am a teetotaler and I am affected below the waist.
How are you? Dercum's disease is a rare disorder and transmitted in an autosomal dominant manner. It is said to be particularly strong in the line of great grandmother-mother-daughter. This link may be helpful: http://www.mdjunction.com/dercums-disease/articles/dercums-disease-study
Take care and best regards.
Thank you so much for the information!  

There is no history of this in my family, but there also was no breast cancer and my sister was diagnosed with it at age 29 in 1978- and died in 1980.  But, I knew none of my Dad's Swedish ancestors beyond my aunts and uncles and cousins, for all were dead before I was born, and only my mother's mother and several cousins for the same reason.  My parents married at 37 and 47 years old, so I was a late child.  

I will go to the link that you have suggested... and check it out!

I will be seeing a vascular surgeon on Wed. for possible embolization of my huge lipomas [one at a time] before liposuction is done, for I cannot get around well and am on oxygen and use crutches.  I hope that we can get started on this in the near future, for I am tired of having to lift 300 pounds with every step!

Sincerely,

Bettina

New study links cell phones to slightly increased cancer risk. Should you be concerned?