Rare Diseases Community

Stomach pains

I have been having horrible stomach pains for the last 3 years. Sometimes when I am experiencing the pain in my stomach, I will feel as if I need to use the bathroom. When the pain is really bad, I pass about a tablespoon of a substance that looks like mucus-like blood from my rectum, vomit stomach acid, and feel as if I might faint. Other times, my stomach pains are less severe and in those times I just have had bad cases of diahrehia with no vomiting. When the pain is not extreme, it goes away after I use the bathroom. I have been to the emergency room a whole dozen of times and they cannot give me an answer on what is wrong with me. The pain comes and goes. I can go almost a whole year without the pain until it returns and lasts for only a day to two days. Please help! I'm thinking it could be IBS, but is passing blood with no stool from the rectum a symptom of I.B.S???
Welcome to the forum!
You could possibly be suffering from Celiac Disease/Ulcerative Colitis/Irritable Bowel Syndrome/ Crohn’s disease. All these result in tender abdomen, loose stool or loose stools alternating with constipation, abdominal distention, cramps, blood per rectum etc. Parasites in the gut like threadworm, tape worm, giardiasis etc can behave this way. Hence a stool test is a must.
A number of times a gastroenterologist is able to diagnose these conditions by clinical examination and detailed medical history. Blood tests to rule out anemia, stool test to look for white blood cells, sigmoidoscopy, colonoscopy etc are used to diagnose ulcerative colitis. Braium meal and follow through, endoscopy etc are done to rule out GERD, Crohn’s disease etc. Irritable bowel syndrome is diagnosed by elimination of other causes. Gluten is a complex protein present in four main grains---wheat, rye, barley and oats. If you have gluten intolerance, then you probably have celiac disease or Non Celiac gluten sensitivity. There are blood tests called celiac test to detect gluten intolerance.
I would strongly recommend you to see a gastroenterologist (a specialist who looks after the diseases of our digestive system). It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage.  Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

New study links cell phones to slightly increased cancer risk. Should you be concerned?