Respiratory Disorders Forum

Bad Smell in my nose

For about a month I've had this bad smell inside my nose.  It's getting worse.  It smells like smoke, my eyes will burn and feel dry on occasion.  Sometimes my face will burn.  I don't smoke and not around anyone that does. My cheeks do hurt a litle especially when pressed.  It's driving me nuts and have scheduled a doctors appt.  Just trying to get some education and possible ideas on what this could be.
Sinusitis is an inflammation of the mucous membranes that line the sinus cavities.  Inflammation of the sinuses could be due to an allergy, an infection, or ongoing exposure to an irritant, such as pollution or smoke.  Symptoms can include a headache or pressure in the area of the sinuses, a stuffy nose, achy teeth, an odor coming from the nose, postnasal drip, cough, sore throat, laryngitis, lightheadedness, constant low fever, and thick, yellow to green nasal drainage.  This inflammation can block sinus drainage and cause increased mucus production.  The mucus can drain from the nose and sinuses down the back of the throat causing a constant or intermittent postnasal drip and sore throat.

The best way to identify a sinus infection is with a sinus CT scan, although sinus x-rays are a decent alternative.  A sinus CT scan will also identify if any of the openings that drain your sinuses are blocked.  If your symptoms are due to sinusitis, they will last as long as the inflammation continues.  Here are some ways to clear up the inflammation.  Please check with your doctor to see which of these would work best for you.  Please read our sinusitis information at http://www.nationaljewish.org/disease-info/diseases/allergy/about/conditions/sinusitis.aspx to learn more.
I wonder if this is a sinusitis causing this with you, especially since you say that your cheeks hurt when pressed. It's good that you are scheduling a doc's appt..he or she may order tests such as a xray or even a CT of the sinuses. Do you notice any foul looking mucous when you blow your nose? I wish you luck, Sunny :)
Doctor thinks allergies because of my eyes burning.  I'm using a nasal spray and some eye solution to see how it goes.  Next step will be ENT for the scope if this doesn't work.  
Someone told me they had just read article on this and it was a fungus ???? Has anyone heard this? UGH!
Actually, I have had yeast in my sinuses...I was on alot of IV antibiotics for a long period of time (2 months), was getting alot of sinus pain and had discharge. The ENT scraped my sinuses, and lo and behold, the yeast was there. I have chronic sinus issues because I have CF as well, but the yeast was more than likely flared by the heavy antibiotics I was on to treat my lung infection. Keep us updated...be interesting to hear what the ENT thinks. Sunny :)
I too have BAD sinus odor. I have suffered for more than a year. At first I kept taking showers thinking it was my body. My grandaughter mentioned I smell like "Poop". I started getting paranoid when I had a temp job and heard a girl say" It smells like **** around here". The other girl said she started smelling it on Monday. That is when I started the assignment. I did not return. Now I have a permanant job and I am starting to hear some comments. I just finished taking antibiotics and I am making another appointment tomorrow to have an xray taken. I am so glad to know this is actually a condition. Please e-mail me with any suggestions and comments".

Sinus sufferer

***@****
I to have a bad smell in my nose. It seems like everytime I breathe through my nose that bad odor pops up. it's very uncomfortable for me. I'd really like to solve this problem. please help.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?