Respiratory Disorders Community

Bad smell coming from nose..Found a Cure!!! Yayyyy

This is not a question but answer..i couldnt find how to comment or answer!

I have been suffering from a really horrible smell coming from my nostrils and if i sniffed i could also taste it..i tried actifed tablets and cattarh caspules but after a week it was still there..as if i had bad breath but instead of coming from my mouth it was coming from my nose..very embaressing as I work with customers every day and was sure they could smell it too.  So I went to the doctor and he gave me a nasal cream called Naseptin and some tablets called Erythromycin. After only a day of using these the smell has gone!  So there is a cure out there...its just finding the right one..now i dont know if its the cream that works or the tablets or both together but im just glad its gone. I have to finish the course tho. I was told that the smell was caused by bacteria that lives in the nose which had got infected. Hope this helps.

This discussion is related to bad odor smell from nose (continued).
Thank you SOOO much for the post.  I will relay this information to my doctor.  Hopefully this will work for me as well!!!
Hi, (please read)

I have the exactly some problem as you all have mentioned previous. And it is really devastating to see people hold their nose's because the air, that comes out of my nose stink like bad breath all the time. I have been to ENT doctors but they couldn't help me at all. They claim it is a psychological think and that pisses me off. It is not that I am suffering and embarrassed about my condition and then to be told that it is something that I fantasy about. That is just pathetic.

My question goes to:  
adip_1974 and Nosyparker,  has the coconut oil process, helped you guys? Please let me know as I am desperate to do something about this problem. I have had this problem for the last 15 years since I was only 16 years old. And to live with this problem in all those 15 years have been a living hell and it still is. I have no joy in living life as I have very hard times in my University, my work place, family and friends.

Please and Please somebody help me if you have found the cure for this nightmare. Thanks alot
Seeking_Help1,

For me, yes, this worked. The steps i have followed about 15 days and the smell from nose is now gone. But you have to be very active in keeping your nasal tunnels clean and healthy.

Coconut oil did a grate job for me. One more thing i used called "Neti Pot". you can search for "Neti Pot Demonstration" in Youtube and will find lots of videos on that. The product is very cheap and usage is also very easy. Using salted warm water passing through your nasal pockets will help release the stuck sinus and make your nasal pockets free. Salted water is always anti-infection and this will help release dead sinus from your nose.

Try this and hope to have you back in normal life. Good luck. please share your feedback after using the process.
Thank you very much. I will definately try it. What about the erythromycin tablets, did they too help you with the dissaperiance of the smell?
So what kind of coconut oil did you use in your nose.
What coconut oil did you use in your nose and how exactly did you use it?
Adip - did Doctors ever say that the problem was too much acid in your stomach?? That's what they told me. So and I agree, because mouthwashes and other antibiotics never worked, but acid medication worked for while though.
Hi-
I writing because my boyfriend, the past 6 months has developed a stale smell that comes mostly from his nose. He doesn't smell it, or taste it, so it is something I am noticing. Sometimes I can smell it from a distance. It smells very stale and not good. I don't know what to do to help him. It is very frustrating and a turn off.

I love him dearly and want to help solve this. I know I am sensitive to smell but there is clearly something wrong. It doesn't occur ALL the time, but most of the time it is there. When he brushes his teeth it will go away for a little but always comes back.

Please help!
Hi I recently was horrified to develop the same drop dead smelly nose reek that many members have posted about. It was arguably the most appalling stench I've ever had and I'm 57. In desperation when it developed very late, the night before my family was to arrive for a weekend visit,  I tried a home made saline nasal solution. Using a 12 hour over the counter spray bottle, emptied of its contents, I added my own saline - an ounce or two warmed a bit- into the plastic spray bottle.My homemade concoction  was  made from a tablespoon of table salt dissolved in a 1/2 cup of water with just a small part added to my spray bottle. I then aggressively sprayed the saline into each nostril 6 times each, blowing hard every few sprays. In a few sprays I managed to free up and blow out some dense mucus from my right nostril, which I also felt relieve the sinus on that side, Repeated sprays followed by reclining with my head tilted back made sure my sinuses were flooded with saline and partially cleared. Though my nose was still a bit smelly, the rankest smell was immediately greatly reduced, so that the awful original smell was far less noticeable unless another person was just a foot away! To dry myself up further,  and hopefully maintain this improvement, I followed up with several sprays of regular 12 hour mist and took 2 sudafeds.Happily, this home remedy drastically reduced the smell from my nose, and only required another saline spray ever 4 hours. Of course the next day I went to my local ENT Dr. and he told me the smell was indeed an infected sinus with deteriorating sinus mucus that was causing the dreaded smell. He prescribed 875mg of Augmentin twice a day for 10 days, nd encouraged me to continue aggressively using saline to reduce and eliminate the nose smell. 72 hours later m sinus is clear, the saline no longer needed and the smell is gone! So take heart folks! This can be managed promptly and effectively with lots of saline spray used to flood and clear the offending sinus!
Thanks for the post, I've had this problem for going on 6 years now and I've tried everything.  I rinse with saline no less than three times a day and use a steroid spray Nasonex at night, my ENT advised me to use Mucinex to help thin the mucus.  It helps but every four months like clockwork, the smell is out of control.  It never completely goes away but when it's bad I have to actually stay away from people.  This is my second ENT, I've tried every other doctor, had every ct scan and no one has been able to tell me what this is.  

I will try your solution and I plan on going back to my ENT with some of the information i've found on this site.  But I'm greatful for two things, one I can't smell the stench and second I'm not alone.  Until today I've not been able to find any one with this problem.  People helping people always has good results.
I've been experiencing sporadic daily nasal stink for about 6 months (I'm 52) and at first was horrified that it was some kind of body odor - that'll put a crimp in your socializing - until I finally figured out it was in my nose.
I tried constant saline spraying (not much help at all) then went to the "nettie pot" saline flushing (that helped the smell a little, but really made my sinuses feel good!). The heavy doses of saline led me to using first vaseline, and then AYR nasal gel to soothe my nostrils. I discovered that this coating seemed to alleviate the stink for a few hours. So I experimented further and found that thoroughly scrubbing my nostrils with hydrogen peroxide and then applying AYR gel virtually eliminated the stink - but only if I do it EVERY morning.
I'm not sure if this is a recommendable application for hydrogen peroxide, but after about a month of this treatment my nostrils seem healthy. Just wanted to share my experience hoping it helps someone 'cause this is a nasty little affliction that doctors don't seem to have any kind of handle on.
Chuckles56, You wrote it almost 7 years back, did it come back anytime after tha?.
I too have this very depressing "smell". I've been dealing with it for about 9 years. I'm currently on an anti-depressant to get my life back on track, and I'm fighting hard to be happy again. We can help eachother, THERE IS A CURE! No, I havent figured it out just yet, but I'm trying everything and I'm never giving up. Not just for myself, but for YOU as well. B a r e K a n v a s @ a o l . c o m

I'm currently irrigating with NeilMed Sinus Rinse around 4 times a day, tilting my head back not forward, and it It seems to be helping.    
It's now almost March. You tried Fluconozole in early February.  How' is the nasal stench now?  Is it back - or gone - or what?  Please let us know the end of this story so we can know if we should keep looking for a cure.  Thanks!
Such things are almost always bacterial or fungal. Rather simple, really.
PLEASE READ... ...... GET AT ME AT THE ADDRESS..... ....

WELL I HAVE THE SAME CONDITION ... AND WELL IM PRETTY DESPERATE NOW...   I WORK IN A OFFICE , AND GOSH IT SUCK THINKING PEOPLE CAN SMELL YOU... TODAY I TOLD MY BOSS ABOUT IT... AND I WAS DEVASTATED , EMBARRASED...
guys girls hit me up...  uc_ irvine1 @ yahoo. com ..... all together ok i just spaced it so it wont blur out...
maybe its caused by sinus yeast infection...try taking virgin coconut oil 3x times a day
All these months later - DID THE NOSE STENCH RETURN?  Has it lessened or is it still gone?  We need to hear from you so we can better understand what works and for how long.  THANKS!!!!
WELL I TRIED THE FLUCONAZOLE 150MG, THREE PILLS, ONE PER WEEK FOR THREE WEEKS AS ONE PILL WORKS FOR SEVEN DAYS - NOT ONE - BUT THREE!!!! THREE WEEKS!!!!  IT DOES NOT WORK!!!! AT LEAST IT DIDN'T WORK FOR ME!!!! SO....NO CURE HERE!!!!! ANOTHER DEAD END!!!!!!!!!!!!    I FOUND A NO CURE!!!!!! YAYYYY!  Dissappointing.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.