Respiratory Disorders Community

Breathing Problem..Yaw..nnn...inggggg...can't get full breath

I went to doctor on Saturday because I had frequent urination, especially that morning. The doctor said wbc's high but not sure infection was there. Urine looked clear. He prescribed Cipro and another med that helped burning w urination. On second day of dosage, I began to feel like I was losing my breath. Had trouble getting air. The next day seemed better. On third day, trouble breathing again. I cannot get enough air, yawning alot. I think I'm dying. :(

This discussion is related to Sleep Apnea & using Bi-pap.
There is lack of oxygen in your lungs. Do this exercise to exhale the old air in your lungs and so increase the oxygen level.Then do some deep breathing through the nose, and into the lungs.

Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.

Kapalbhati pranayam - Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 30 to 100 times.
Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently. If you do this for more than one minute, then do it before eating or on empty stomach.
Thanks for replying. I used to do those exercises years ago. It does help stress and breathing. However, I think this problem may have another element to it. I am going to doctor this week to check it out.
Just to update. My breathing problem has seemed to dissipate suddenly. I had no breathing issue all day. My results came back from doctor for blood tests/urine test..all fine and those that should be negative are negative, so all good so far. I can safely say I'm not dying of AIDS today or living with HIV. *(Sigh of relief)...I have been having flank pain, very vague, and off and on. Doctor said that is not from an enlarged spleen or liver. Apparently, I am negative for C. difficil also which I thought might have caused my SOB. Not the case. Still don't know what is causing my health issues..I have more going on then mentioned here. One of which started with ear infection and sinsitus and won't go away.
The body can fix many problems, and the pranayam helps the body to do the healing. Follow the breathing technique and you will notice your problems reducing over time. This works gradually, so allow months to notice benefit.
April 19 ,2012
Hello and hope you are doing well.

There could be many causes for the pain you are experiencing. If the pain starts at the back and goes down to the front of the abdomen, it could most probably be a renal colic. This happens when urine is trying to pass through an obstruction usually a stone. But this pain is very severe and colicky. Sometimes the kidneys are likely to be infected resulting in Pyelonephritis, as with your history of urinary infections, this can spread up and affect the kidneys. This could result in flank pain.

Other causes for pain could be peptic ulcer disease and GERD. You will need to consult your primary care physician for proper evaluation of pain and therapy.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Update: I have had a few more incidences of breathing problems and still having right flank pain or under rib pain. I went to ENT to check out ear and sinus problem. Dr. prescribed Azithromyacin, which seemed to clear up the remainder of sinus problem. I scheduled appt w my internist, and he checked my oxygen level and lung function. All 100% good. He said he isn't sure why I am having breathing problems with 100% oxygen. He ordered an x-ray of my lungs to check for obstruction. I will get results back in a couple of days. The negative result for C. Dificil is not valid because the test was not done after all bc the nurse forgot...(?)...I will need to give "sample" to lab to check for that problem in near future.
Thank you for your response. My doctor is checking into a few of those things you mentioned, but he wants to check for possible lung disease first. I thought peptic ulcer was a possibility as well. Also, even though I thought I might have had a kidney or bladder infection, there was no evidence of that. A doctor prescribed antibiotics anyway. I don't have a history of UTI's actually. In fact, I have rarely been sick in my life until this started happening.
Ironically,while doing the Kapalbhati pranayam breathing, I realize how narrow my sinus cavity really is. My ENT ordered a CAT scan of my nasal cavity to check for polyps and found that my sinuses are very narrow in one turbinate. It does make nose-breathing much more difficult. I think I often breathe through my mouth to compensate for this problem, especially at night or when I am having the SOB issue. Just wanted to note that.
You need to breathe through the nose.
Your pranayam routine should be as follows:
Kapalbhati 15 to 20 minutes twice a day
Anulom vilom 15 to 30 minutes twice a day
Bhramri - 7 times , twice a day.
Do this daily, and you will start to feel the benefit in weeks.Continue this once a day, for life, once you are better, to maintain your health.

Anulom Vilom pranayam –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 20 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close little flap of ears with thumb,place  index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Repeat this  5 to 21 times.
Thank you very much hava! I appreciate all of you great information! I will print this out and take note.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.