Respiratory Disorders Community

Choking/coughing Fit

I had my tonsils out 14 years ago due to the fact that I would wake up in the middle of the night and feel like my throat was closing up, gasping for air, and coughing.  I then got braces and a retainer in my mouth to move my teeth and jaw around.  They pretty much said there wasn't a lot of space in my mouth for my tongue and that's why these choking/gasping/coughing attacks were happening.  I hadn't had any coughing/choking fits until yesterday.  I was just sitting at my desk and then out of nowhere I felt my throat close and I started coughing and couldn't catch my breath.  I'm not allergic to anything and I wasn't eating any food.  The only thing that helps is drinking water and trying to relax my throat muscle.  I have had a lot of drainage and the Wisconsin weather is starting to get dry.  Does this happen to other people?  Is this something that could kill me? Like I said, it's not in my lungs, it's in my upper throat.  I just want to make sure that this isn't going to be the end of me... THANKS!!  

This discussion is related to Tickle in throat makes me cough and choke.
Yes, I also have had this problem after a bout with bronchitis in 2000.  The cough occurs at any time but I've noticed in the morning I collect a lot of mucus in my sinuses and stomach.  Once I eat or drink anything with acid - lemonaid, I'll vomit.  Water provides relief.  While in Mexico, I asked a doctor about this cough.  He prescribed a narcotic sypup.  I found relief, but it was addictive because I searched frantically for it in the US, but could'nt replace it.  The cough returned. My lungs have been x-rayed and are clear but they did find a swallowing disorder which apparently may be corrected with surgery.  Has any been diagnosed with a swallowing disorder related to the cough?  I also moisturize my nostrils in the evening with a saline gel, keep cough drops nearby and drink water.  This helps me through the night.  Also soaking in a warm bath, and steam also seem to provide some relief.  Fenugreek and Fenuthyme natural supplements, and a salt water gargle seems to dry up the mucous .
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.