Constant Urge to Take Deep Breaths

For the last week I've had a constant urge to take deep breaths, and fill my lungs so that they feel stretched. The breath gives minor satisfaction, but then the urge returns.
Sometimes, I feel like I need to yawn, but the yawns are not satisfying like they should be. I don't have any problems breathing, nor do I have any other symptoms, like coughing, raspiness or wheezing. Just this persistent urge to breathe deeply.

A lot of posts I've seen on related symptoms seem to think this is anxiety, but I really don't think that I have a lot of anxiety right now.

Any ideas?

This discussion is related to urgency to take deep breaths.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I did post how this has gone away for me and what I did to make it go away but fighting the urge but I was eager to do more research into this I’m am so excited to come on here and give this explanation as to what I found, being this was something I dealt with for 3 longs months. There is an answer as to why we have had or for some of us still have this urge to take these deep breaths. We also have had or for some of us still have this want for a “satisfying breath”. This satisfying breath as most can only describe as being achieved by either a deep sigh or a yawn and due to this everyone experiencing this wants to sigh all the time or yawn.  When we sigh we get that satisfying breath and want to repeat them back to back but we can’t and assume something is wrong medically or that we cant breath.  The reason you can’t get these satisfying breaths back to back is because these satisfying breaths are just long sighs and YOU CANT sigh back to back. Its impossible. Sighing is more then just a sign of anxiety, stress or even depression, sighing is a reflex controlled by your brain that’s an essential task to survival.
We UNKNOWINGLY sigh every 5 minutes. Our brain has cluster of neurons that contain receptors that trigger our breathing behavior, these neurons contain peptides that send a signal to our body to produce sighs. Sighing is a reflex that our life depends on. When we sigh we re-inflate tiny sacs in our lungs called alveioli. These alveioli control the bodys oxygen flow. These sacs deflate over time and our brain sends a signal for our body to sigh to inflate these sacs and expand the lungs. This signal is sent about every 5 minutes or 12 times every hour. Once you sigh and your lungs expand and your alveoli sacs are filled YOU CAN NOT take another Sigh or “deep breath” once your lungs are expanded. This is why someone may feel like they cant get good deep satisfying breaths back to back, because its impossible. However I can almost bet that if you waited 5 or more minutes you would be able to get another one of those “satisfying breaths” you can actually get one of these breaths 12 times within an hour. So in fact your breathing is 100% perfect and your lungs are nice and filled with air when you cant get these deep breaths. Your not supposed to. Take a deep sigh and your will feel relieved try to do it back to back and soon youll be hyperventilating, wait 5,6,7 minutes and try again. BAM success.
So theres no need to worry, once you stop paying attention to your breath and obsessing over those deep satisfying breaths IT WILL GO AWAY. Your body will breath how it needs to and your brain will send signals to sigh when you NEED to.
Now a quick note on the anxiety aspect of this. There is no surprise that anxiety is often diagnosed when someone feels this or someone may be taking anxiety pills. This is because when we are anxious, stressed, or depressed we SIGH MORE. We have an URGE to sigh more. This is not yet known why we sigh more when we have anxiety but its related to the signals our brain sends our breathing center. So now when were anxious we want to sigh back to back and our bodies can not physically handle that much air. So when you anxious your going to try to take deep breaths or sigh back to back and you wont be able to so your going to think you cant breathe and you may panic and then you find our self on anxiety medicine. The reason doctors are quick to give anxiety medicine is because it will relax the nervous system which will slow down the response in your brain which then will slow down your urge to sigh and will slowly allow your body to breath/sigh a little more naturally. HOWEVER not everyone but in most cases you can do this yourself WITHOUT medicine. Just know that when you can’t take those deep breaths nothing is wrong! There is nothing to worry about (unless you have asthma and really can’t take deep breaths). You can only truly get those breaths 12 times within an hour don’t try to push more, you don’t need it. Just keep that in mind and relax, STOP focusing on your breath and once you get a good deep sigh fight the urge that’s going to immediately come next for another one, fight the urge, it will be hard but it will be your cure. Just tell yourself as hard as you try and give in you will not get that breath because your lungs are already expanded just fight the urge relax and listen to your body which will cue you when you need to sigh again, eventually the urge will loose its power and your body will do it unconsciously.
I am proof it goes away. It took 12 weeks, but IT IS GONE! !!! I know how scary it can be but YOU WILL GET PAST IT!
Helpful - 2
Hey im thankful i saw your message im going to fight the urge till the end thanks your a savior jess0619
Mine started this past saterday right after a big hang over
hi jess0619
   thanks a lot for this info and i’m glad it went away for u...i also had tests came back normal and i think i have anxiety or depression...it came out of the blue for me too...my q is did it improve gradually for u or suddenly it went away one day? thanks
This is the best comment that I read! I can really relate on this one because I always pay attention on my breathing. I will take this as a lesson and learning, for me to get better on my breathing. Thank you so much Jess0619.
I'm here to comment on this post because I too had the exact same urge or air hunger. It felt like sighing was the only way to get that " satisfying breath" and when that breath doesn't come the urge to keep trying would kick in until the nervousness would set in that I'm not getting enough air.

I wanted to take the time and make this post to say IT DOES AND WILL GO AWAY. A lot of people on this thread have the same issue and you may have come here worried and seeking answers but it is something you can totally rid of WITHOUT needing anxiety medicine. Now that's not to speak for everyone but I personally didn't take an medications and it has gone away...... The only thing that worked for me was realIzing my body was fine and I WAS doing it to myself.

Taking these deep breaths over and over is not practical, the body should be breathing without us even realizing, it's when we focus on our breathing so much we hunger for more air. STOP THINKING ABOUT IT. Now that was hard at first, the only way to stop thinking about it is to fight that urge for a deep breath. Fight the urge to "satisfy" that feeling that a yawn or sigh would give us. Tell yourself your not supposed to breathe like that. Breaths should be short and quiet and go unnoticed. Now fighting this urge will be uncomfortable at first,  BUT that uncomfortable feeling you'll feel in your chest is the cure ! When you feel that uncomfortable feeling tell yourself you are healing yourself of this annoyance. That's what worked for me. Eventually the urge will loose its power and you'll stop taking deep breaths as this too is unhealthy for the body because you can throw off your oxygen to co2 levels with breathing so hard.

Another very important thing to tell yourself is your body has your best interest at heart, your body will do its job correctly, your body wants to work well for you. If you've gone to doctors and they don't find anything chances are it may be anxiety OR some sort of anxiety episode onset this feeling and it's going to take YOU to turn it back off. I also didn't want to believe it was anxiety and when the doctors told me I looked at them like they were crazy.
I never ever had anxiety before and had nothing to feel anxious over however I have had some extra stress which unknowingly was causing some anxiety and one morning I woke up flustered and kept trying to take deep breaths and "couldn't" however my body was getting the exact amount of oxygen it needed what I wasn't getting was that satisfying breath... I soon realized this satisfying breath was so crab able because it temporarily stretches your chest/lungs and momentarily relives anxious feelings even anxious feeling that have no physical symptom the urge itself is enough. Think about it. The urge for that breath create a by of anxiety and once you get it it's temporarily relived however it will NEVER go away if you keep feeding it.

Think about this... Before it ever started before you ever had this urge when you would go to the doctor lets say for a physical and they check your chest and say "take a deep breath" that deep breath you would take is nothing like the deep "satisfying breath" you keep wanting. You didn't sit in the exam room grasping for deep amounts of air to the point you begin hyperventilating. Focus on that.

Once you fight the urge and feel the uncomfortable feeling welcome that feeling ! That's your body forgetting the urge, that's your body and mind becoming balanced again to your pre episode days. The good thing is if it's not medical you can reverse it yourself and I'm here to say IT WILL GO AWAY. Even if you don't get those deep sigh feelings every time you breathe who gives a sh**t your FINE and once you stop hyper focusing on your breathing it goes way.. I wanted to share my story because I too was on these threads a few weeks ago seeking answers and googling every night until I realized I was doing it to myself and I can stop it myself fight the urge and the urge will loose its power and go away.

You will get over it and it doesn't need to be medically treated. This started for me in May of this year and as of July it was gone completely.
Helpful - 2
Hello there! I've had this problem for a about a month and today was the last straw for me. I couldn't it anymore and just sat down crying. It's 2.30 am where I am now and I can't express how much your comment means to me. You made me so much better at a point where I convinced myself that I'll never get cured. You've really helped and thank you for that(:
Hi I'm so glad I came across your post,  I have been having the problem all week I finally am calmed down I fought the urge to take that deep breathe I didn't know what to do I was crying and tired of it and finally any relaxing and I haven't taking a deep breathe in maybe 5 minutes and I'm fine thanks so much it's gonna take some time but I will accomplish it thevjs
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. I feel better already! I have been going crazy! I went to the e.r. thinking I was suffocating. I dont think it will be easy but I am going to try to fight the urge. Thank you so much!!
Hi. I have the same symptoms but I have noticed that if I'm distracted I forget to take the deep breaths. And I am fine. I also have asthma & I have my inhaler. I use it but I try not to. I try to get distracted & see if I could do without my inhaler. If I do then I know I'm fine. I also keep telling myself it's all in my head. I thought I was the only one thinking that way. Thanks. :) while I sit here commenting about it I haven't had the urge to take deep breaths. I feel fine.
This post is amazing, recently I have started having anxiety a few months ago,I used to just think people were dramatic but I wouldn't wish this feeling on anyone. It's a dibilitating feeling that something's wrong and I just want to cry but I can't cause I can "barley breath". My husband gets annoyed and tells me I'm ok, which actually helps calm me down because he knows it's not serious. This has been so helpful
This post is amazing, recently I have started having anxiety a few months ago,I used to just think people were dramatic but I wouldnt wish this feeling on anyone. Ita a dibilitating feeling that somethings wrong and I just want to cry but I cant cause I can barley breathe. My husband gets annoyed and tells me Im ok, which actually helps calm me down because he knows its not serious. This has been so helpful
Dude you rock !! Fight the urge people YOU WILL GET THROUGH THIS I TRIED IT AND IT WORKED FOR ME GOOD LUCK AND DONT FORGET THIS WILL GO AWAY ! God bless !

I.just want to add something " IF YOU GO TO SLEEP AND WAKE UP THERES NOTHING WRONG ! "
So happy I found this!! I feel exactly the same. I’ve been trying to fight the urge but it is really very hard I’ve been so using to breathing this way for so long, but I have beat it before and for whatever reason it’s come back and I’m tells trying. I also have a difficult time eating the breathing gets so much worse , anyone else ?
guys i’m back here to tell you all i got these symptoms 3 days ago and now i’m completely fine don’t have symptoms anymore. i think this is related to anxiety. i might get this back again but i don’t fear it now bcoz i know for me it’s anxiety and i bet for most of you it’s anxiety too. i did nothing significant to improve these air hunger symptoms
Hi all, I guess I am just another one of many with this undiagnosed condition. Started for me Jan-28-2016, went away for a couple of months (or I didn't notice it), and has been full force every single day other than those months. Some days worse than others, but my symptoms are categorized by exactly what people are saying - the sensation that I need to breath deep to get that little bit of satisfaction, but it doesn't always come.

I went through all the medical tests as well, but here's what I noticed:

1) Seems we can all sleep - so it can't be something physically wrong with our lungs right? How would we be able to sleep for 7+ hours without needing to breath deep?
2) It does tend to not be as evident when I am concentrating on something - for example, I like to gamble - I've gone hours gambling realizing I never had to breath deep. I've seen other people have said this too about when they are concentrating on something else.
3) Everyone talks about anxiety being involved. Ok, so I understand some of you (including me) don't "feel anxious", but really, do you know what not feeling anxious really feels like? I think some of us have been just so nervous and worried for so long it almost feels normal.

In conclusion - this issue *****, there's no doubt about that. But it just HAS to be pyschological. It seems everyone who has this had an initial incident that led to it (as did I). It's the craziest, stupidest thing, but it's all in our mind that we need a deep breath because we ARE getting 100% (or close) oxygen saturation, and something about our nervous system has gone haywire and feels we need to breath deep to ensure we "are ok". I don't know what more we can do other than just forget about it, and the good thing about that is - every 5 minutes you can take a deep breath - it's when you get frantic to try to get it where we get in trouble.
Helpful - 2
Wow I’m so happy to see others commenting the same thing ! I mean I’m sad others have to go through this but I’m glad I’m not alone. I’ve had this since I was 12 I was diagnosed for asthma but it was very bad I couldn’t take deep breaths and always had to yawn constantly. A lot of times my throat would close up and I always felt my breathing was labored. It lasted a few years and one day just went away and was gone for 15 years and all of a sudden last summer it came back!!! Out of be blue!! I too believe it must be psychological not in the sense that we are crazy or anything like that because obviously what we are feeling is very real! At least I can say that for myself , I also notice it gets ten times worse when eating ?? Since doctors can’t help us I wonder how can we make this go away if it’s not really real?? I have tried breathing exercises but they don’t seem to help. I’m just very scared because I feel how can I live a normal life feeling this way :( if anyone can give any advice please help me thank you !
Hey I have the same problem! I'm  34 years old and have been a very physically active person, up until about 5 years ago when I got a panick attack after smoking some pot. I think alot of this is anxiety, and our bodies getting into the rythm of going for that full breath of air. I dont consider myself and anxious person nor do I have anxiety attacks anymore but I just can't seem to shake this feeling of constantly needing to take a deap breath. I excrcise in moderation and try to control my breathing and relax, this seems to help alot.  I did notice that when I feel very cofident and fearless this symptom seems to vanish.... strange?? I hope that this may help someone who's going through this, how do we get ride of this permanantly is the question I have.
Helpful - 1
I have this exact same problem! I noticed this about maybe 5 months ago in December. It was light and would go away, but would come back here and there. Since February, I have to inhale deeply every single day, throughout the day. I even have to try to stretch out my throat and my arms to see if I can get the air to... how should I say this... to circulate everywhere in my lungs, especially to the lower part since the top seems to be tighter. I keep myself in good shape (though I eat out quite often, so I need to start to rule that out), but I find myself yawning a lot when it feels especially tight and when I feel like I'm not getting enough air. The yawning seems to bring the air in very well (feels more satisfying), it's minor relief but it's more comfortable to yawn then stretch out my chest and neck to inhale. Working out feels draining and breathing is so hard when I'm lifting. I think it started more prominently when I was running in the snow.

At first the doctors thought it was asthma (my mom has asthma and I also had this a couple times as a kid but after one episode, it would go away and not come back again for years), so they tried some asthma medications (flovent and salbutamol) and put me through a spirometry test. Medications did not get rid of it and spirometry test was normal. Then I did a chest x-ray, ECG and blood test. Chest x-ray normal, blood normal and ECG results pending. They've been giving me anxiety medications for the longest time now, first with Ativan and then APO-LORAZEPAM. I'm healthy, fit (athletic build and normal bmi), male, currently 27, athletic, optimal blood pressure (below 120/80) and resting heart rate between 53-60. No other problems that I can think of, and my heart feels strong, but my lungs can't seem to keep up with my stronger heart. My sleep is not affected by it (though I wake up quite often throughout the night anyways since my sleeping is not so good to begin with) and it's quite easy to breathe for the first 15-45 min after waking up. Never smoked, but drank maybe 3-4 alcoholic beverages in my lifetime.

I had strongly believed it was not anxiety, since I'm so familiar with mental health and the like because I work in health (and also assess for anxiety). I also don't seem to notice it very much when I'm in the heat of something crazy like a competitive online game, but walking and working out still feels very draining. I'm working in my office right now and as I write this, still forcing deep breaths. My workplace is in the hospital and I occasionally work in the lab, but I've been here for so long that I can't seem to think it's due to chemicals. To find that I can breathe normally during my sleep (it doesn't wake me up, I just sleep bad) and that my body is quite strong, makes me think.. maybe it's in my head... maybe anxiety has always been my 'normal'- which kind of terrifies me because I feel even less anxious then when I was in university. I'm trying some of the breathing techniques that were mentioned here, and continuing my over the counter acid reflux and heartburn tablets. Might even get some sleeping meds prescribed. I'm so glad I wasn't the only one feeling this and thank you so much guys
Helpful - 1
Sorry reposted by mistake
100% Like my situation - all of it. Some times It vanishes. Do share please if you come to know of some definitive solution. For now, I found breathing techniques as the most helpful remedy.
Have you found the answer to this? I am having the exact same thing and I do not believe it's anxiety. Thanks!
Helpful - 1
It’s hyperventilation syndrome. I’ve just been diagnosed with it and it requires breathing retraining. Will be a long road to recovery but I just hope the toad does lead to recovery as I can’t cope with this anymore.
Helpful - 1
I've had the same things for months except I don't need to take deep breathes I just need to yawn alot but like you said not satisfying also it feels like something is in my throat but nothing is. I'm in tears because I'm scared nothing will help me my throat never gets worse though.
Helpful - 1
Oh my this sounds just like me I would suggest getting someone to look into your throat immediately because I suffered a long time before a diagnosis and I am still not well but I have what is called silent reflux and it's getting to be very common these days, (* all the stuff we eat and breathe in is having a toll on our bodies). It's called LERD or SILENT Reflux!!! I had identical symptoms.
*my opinion
I get the exact symptom so many people are describing here --  I've always said, " I can't get air/oxygen". I try yawning, etc, but I only "get air" once in s while.  (the doctor didn't know what it was)

It became clear to me that it's Anxiety.

The first times I remembering getting it were before Christmas every year ( long story --  I ended up doing all the shopping for family members, because they weren't able to, I had so many obligations) --  that's what helped me to realize that --  for me --  the cause is Anxiety

I'm sure certain things like caffeine would make it worse, medication for Attention Deficit...  (So, anti-anxiety medication, like Ativan (Lorazapam) would be good to try...)

Even figuring out that Anxiety causes this "awful feeling" helped me.

:  )
Helpful - 1
I'm wondering why this is so prevalant lately (smog/pollution)??

I have the EXACT same symptoms also, for the last 6 weeks and appeared out of the blue. Some days worse, some better, but the feeling that I need to take a deep breath, sprinkled with yawning constantly, mostly in the attempt to get that "satisfaction" that feels good once achieved but then comes back in a few minutes and the cycle starts over. Some things I've found that it almost goes away immediately when I lie down and relax - it might still occur but I feel i dont need to take as deep a breath... But what the hell, why are so many people reporting this oddity? I spoke to four doctors, two thought i was crazy and couldn't even understand what i was saying by "I feel I need to breath DEEP" (one said, "that's good! That's healthy and what you want to do!" - sorry doc, but no.), and the other two said anxiety... which I suppose could be true but I am not really anxious about anything (I've seen this said many times in this thread).

Anyway what a weird freaking annoying thing.
Helpful - 1
I'm right there with ya! My symptoms started out of the blue two weeks ago. I woke up feeling I wasn't getting the satisfaction I wanted from breathing and thought something was terribly wrong. Two ER trips and a doctors visit later I find this thread and finally have some insight. I was told each time it was anxiety of which I never had EVER I had another doctor look at me like I was crazy and scope my throat. They didn't get what I was saying. I kept saying I'm not getting a deep breath and they say well it sounds like you are and I was would say no I don't "feel" that deep breath feeling which makes me try for 5-6 deep breaths in a row . No one had answers. Come to find out I was breathing too much ! Go friggen figure. I would experience mild anxiety thinking something was wrong only after I didn't get the feeling so now I'm coping and trying to train myself to stop thinking about it while practicing the breathing techniques mentioned. 1 hour in and I already feel better. My hope is eventually I'll forget all about it and move on breathing.
Hi all, I currently suffer from this problem too.  From what I can tell through random Internet articles, we are suffering from chronic hyperventilation.  We are taking in too much oxygen, and our oxygen-CO2 balance is off.  Practicing long, shallow breathing is pivotal to re-training your body how to breathe.  We yawn because it gives us mental relief from the feeling of a full breath, but in reality, it is only exacerbating our hyperventilation due to the influx of more oxygen.  

Try breathing with your mouth closed with good posture.  Inhale shallow breaths over ten seconds (filling your belly, not your lungs) and then exhale through your nose slowly (deflating your belly).  This will be uncomfortable at first because our oxygen-CO2 balance is off and we have trained our bodies to breathe incorrectly.  The key to this is shallow, small breaths; this is counter-intuitive because it seems like we need more air and a complete breath, but we really need less oxygen. Commit to this method for a day and see if your breathing improves.  The goal is to re-train your body to breathe like this unconsciously.  Another trigger to our hyperventilation is being so conscious of our breathing; practicing correct breathing will help make it automatic and will further decrease our symptoms.

I have been using this method over the past hour and feel great relief.  Every few minutes, I still feel the need to take a large inhalation of air with my mouth open, but I have stopped feeling the need to yawn.  I have suffered from this for a little over a year now and was previously very healthy and not anxiety-ridden.  However, when I began a full-time Master's program while working full-time, I began having these breathing problems and have had them ever since.  Doctors have prescribed Zoloft and Xanax which helped, but I don't like taking prescription medication.  I hope the relief persists and I hope it helps some of you out there.
Helpful - 1
I have had this for some years now. It comes and goes and lasts from between 2weeks to a month plus. Through all this attack, no solution had ever been found as all medical test yield nothing. I only live through the trauma till the condition stops. One thing is certain, which is that this condition is beyond medicine. I dont want to bore you with long stories, but to tell you that I found a solution. I recently had another traumatic onset and it was so bad it was affecting my job output and relationships. Tried so many things without success until I hit it. I found a remedy that works perfectly without the need for any breathing therapy. Funny enough this is something that is so easily available,  yet we dont know its potency. It might even sound so stupid when mentioned, but I promise you will be marvelled at its effectiveness. Send a mail to me on ***@**** and I will give u this recipe. I promise I will not be a waste of time.
Helpful - 0
Can you please share I have the same problem
Could you please send me the recipe.  I also have this problem. ***@****
Can you please tell me also ***@****
Please i need to know the solution ***@****
So is there a legit solution? If so please let me know.
send me info....***@****
By the way, I left a word out there CHEST. Anxious people tend to breathe more through their chest. Also women who are self conscious about their waist, or wear tight binding clothes around their waist.

Diaphragmatic breathing is working so far. Actually, it started working the second I tried it while at my desk at work. Soon, I think this breathing will feel natural.

My doctor took chest Xrays, and listened to me breathe when this first started, and never mentioned that I might be breathing WRONG.

I suggest everyone try this if you are experiencing these symptoms. I'm sleeping better, and the one thing I was anxious about (my constant deep breathing and yawning) is subsiding. I'm going to start a workout program soon, I'm hopeful that will help my breathing as well.

http://www.anxietypanic.com/breathing.html

Good luck to anyone going through this, I know it *****. If you have exactly what I had, I think you can fix it naturally.
Helpful - 0
I'm a 28 year old smoker for about 15 years. About a week ago, I was cleaning around the house and noticed every couple of minutes I felt this sudden urge to yawn. Well, I figured I had over worked myself  cleaning and thought it would pass. Well, here I am a week since then still having the same problem. Every couple of minutes I get this unstoppable urge to inhale as deep as I can or to Yawn. Sometimes my yawns or deep breaths are successful and sometimes they are not. It's very exhausting! The cycle is neverending. I am not struggling to breath and can carry on a conversation fine. I am also not overweight. There is no wheezing. I don't have allergies. I am not coughing, no runny nose, and no sinus problems. But, it's still going on. I have tried over the counter inhalants which haven't helped. I even tried decongestants thinking maybe I had a bug and didn't realize it. This has scared me so bad that I quit smoking cold turkey. I had my oxygen level tested to see if I am getting enough oxygen and it's at 100%?! I am really scared! Every family member and friend thinks it's just an  anxiety attack but this is way to physical! I am not stressed either. In fact I have had my fair share of stress and never ever had anything like this happen. I don't know if it's paranoia but I am even noticing a little stiffness deep in my throat when I do yawn. I feel so stupid when I explain it outloud, but I really feel like there is something really wrong with me! Please help me! Anyone!
Helpful - 0
o no your not stupid ifeel exactly word-to-word same condition.dont know what to do .doc is saying everything is fine but still have it.
Try Airborne fizzies, as I told about above.  It completely clears that symptom for me....for six or eight hours. Take a swig of Pepto if the acid of the C it gives you heartburn.  Anti inflammatory herbs in Airborne, etc.  still looking for the cause....
Do you think it has anything to do with stress? That's what I was told.  But then Airborne working doesn't make sense.  When was your last physical?
I personally think its just a form of anxiety. I suffered from what you describe in my 20s, i do suffer from anxiety so i know now that that's what it was.
You need to learn to breath so your stomach rises and not your chest exhaling all the air out of your lungs, make the exhale longer than the inhale. Its hard to do at first but over time you wont think about it. It still can happen to me now and then especially when i hear other people describe it as it brings back the old feelings but i can quite easily get rid of it now. Im a smoker too and it probably doesn't help. Try cutting right down rather than going cold turkey at first and see how you feel.
Helpful - 0
Alright this is going to sound like an echo of everyone else, but I've had the same problem! I've been wondering if it isn't from the fact that I tend to get anxious and stress a lot. I've thought about doing meditation and listening to a relaxation cd while I'm doing it. With how many people are afflicted with this I have no doubt any advice would be much appreciated.
Helpful - 0
I've had this problem my whole adult life -- I'm 51-yr-old woman.  I finally figured that for me, at least, it's worse when I ovulate (no help to men, I know).  When I was pregnant with my first child, problem pretty much went away; I had it somewhat with second pregnancy, but not bad.  Seems to be much worse as I approach menopause.  Mine is usually acccompanied by upper back pain, usually on the right side; that hasn't always been the case.
Helpful - 0
So it's been a while since I've posted, but I wanted to share my recent experience in trying to fix this. I TRULY believe the majority of us are experiencing the results of poor breathing technique. As beefgun mentioned, we are all likely not practicing true diaphragmatic breathing.

I have since had several eye-opening sessions at an integrative health center. I had two one-on-one yoga sessions and a meeting with a counselor. Both practitioners gave me very specific movements and a series of exercises to help re-learn how to breath and to become more aware of how I am breathing. It has HELPED TREMENDOUSLY! They have also prescribed regular movement classes, such as Tai Chi, which I haven't started yet, but hope to add to my arsenal of defenses against poor breathing.

The counselor impressed on me multiple times that MOST people do not breathe correctly.

I have had results. It has not been quick, but it has been dramatic. It does require a willingness to devote daily concentration on fixing it, but it is definitely life-changing, so I stringly recommend seeking the help of some experienced yoga or tai chi practitioners, or seeing out an integrative health clinic that can send you to the right people in your area.
Helpful - 0
Its anxiety. possibly brought on with something irretating the throat or lungs. i bet you only feel like this when ur not really doing anything, and never feel it when ur drunk or having a good time or really concentrating. dnt let ur minds run wild ur not going to stop breathing!. ur body will pass out first to take bk control of ur breathing caused by panic and anxiety. try and get some high dose antihistamines they should do the trick with any allergies and anxiety. failing that pregablin or any of the benzo's will do the job. i suffered with this for years. crazy wat the mind can do. obviously these are meds u should discuss with ur doc but i started wi the antihistamines then pregablin and hav been anxiety free for 12 months+. with no meds
Helpful - 0
Smoking and hangovers aggrevate anxiety. giv ur body and mind a rest from anxiety and for most people it will go away. exercise and plenty of fluids also help. Ino its hard especially without meds but try and relax and remember that any medication is for short term there is no magic pill that will make anxiety dissapear forever without other more complicated side effects. So some of the techniques above are definatly worth a try.
Helpful - 0
Hi i am also so glad to hear that i am not the only one with this symtom i have have xrays and all of the above for this issue. I strongly agree with the anxiety bieng the main issue .... i do smoke but the doctor says my lungs look fine so i am just going to relax and stop worrying about this issue and see what happens .. i would also like to add or better yet ask when i wake up i find i dont have the symptoms untill i think about it and then they start up for example i think about it well im having my shower and by the time i walk out the door its has started again .. i was curious if anyone here also had that. Ty everyone again
Helpful - 0
Hello!
I have been having this problem with wanting to frequently take a deep breath..it feels good somehow and I suspect it may be Anxiety..

But they say that deep breaths are good for your cells, brain, etc.  So, it may not be a bad thing ..
Helpful - 0
I have had the urge to yawn and not being satisfied. deep breaths nothing i feel so stupid at work or in public when I'm trying to get a deep breath and I'm so tired of people telling me go to bed at night because all i do is yawn or try to yawn all day just to feel like i'm getting oxygen. I'm a nurse and I'm constantly checking my o2 sats and they r always good. I too have been to the Dr. he says it's anxiety I really believe it is even if u dont feel anxious. I notice I will get releif when I dont pay attention to it (which is not very often) also I sleep good at night and wonder why is it when I'm sleeping my breathing is good but when i'm awake it feel like i'm smoothering! Because when I'm sleeping I'm not thinking about it. Yet I still feel like this EVERDAY!!! Sometimes I feel like I'm gonna lose it! Hope someone can figure all this out so we can all get relief!! It's such a horriable feeling!!
Helpful - 0
i get the same issue like you.  Have you found out what causing it?
I think I have a solution!  I've had this only a couple times in my life, and just recently for the past five days. I've had the same feelings, not getting enough air or a satisfying breath, the need to keep yawning which only one out of many times gives that good satisfying breath. Yes it causes anxiety as it is a horrible feeling.  I believe the answer is not in doctors, scripts, and endless tests. I think everyone needs a chiropractic adjustment. I've read only one post on several sites that said they got relief from this. It worked for me. I think nerves get impinged on the spine. The spine regulates all body processes.  I've been to a chiropractor many times in my life (I'm 54 and overweight), but not for many years. My brother gave me an adjustment (right or wrong it gave me relief) as I can't afford the chiropractor as they must take x-rays first. If you can't afford one as many insurances don't cover these docs (which is a shame!), then have someone hold you from behind in a standing position like they are giving you a 'bear hug' from behind, cross your arms over your chest and have them bear hug you putting their arms under your crossed arms. The "bigger person' behind you lifts you off your feet while compressing you in a tight 'hug.' This generally produces a popping noise. That's sometimes all I need to get 'adjusted' and gradually I felt the inability to get a good breath drift away. The anxious feeling was gone as it improved.  I cried reading several sites with many so despondent.  It is a horrible feeling. I believe it is more than anxiety, anxiety is a natural symptom for this which is due to spine out of place. Hope and pray this helps many.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Respiratory Disorders Community

Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.