Respiratory Disorders Forum

Cough produces extremely salty phlegm

I have been getting over a recent bout of bronchitis where I was prescribed Augmentin (I am on Day 6) and Prednisone short burst (finished 2 days ago) I am still coughing quite bad but the fever has broke... but as of yesterday the phlegm/mucus I am coughing up tastes extremely salty. I have not been using any type of saline spray, or gargling with salt water, so I know this is not the reason. Is it the antibiotics causing this? Or is there another reason? note: the phlegm WAS dark yellow/green, now it is very light yellow/white
The sensation of an abnormal taste, such as a salty taste is not uncommon, the causes almost always benign, including that caused by a number of antibiotics.  Should it persist after discontinuation of the antibiotic, you and your doctor should investigate for another cause.

Good luck
A related discussion, salty spit was started.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.