Respiratory Disorders Forum

Effects of exercise on Pulmonary Function

I was diagnosed with COPD five years ago.  In the last 18 months I've lost nearly 90 pounds (with about 40-45 still to go). My current exercise routine includes walking at least two miles a day on the treadmill(about 45 minutes), resistance workouts of about 25 minutes usually every three days or so and 20 minutes on the exercise bike daily, or some combination of the above.  I get about 5 aerobic points in per day.  In March of 2003, my FEV1 was 16% pre-bronch; 22% post-bronch.  In Sept of 2004, it was 28% pre-bronch and 41% post-bronch.  Obviously, I've worked up to my current level of exercise over time, and plan to continue the exercise routine, though I don't know how much I can increase the intensity.  My question really is, how much more improvement might I expect to see?  I'm 60 and smoked for 30 years before quitting in 1992.  I'm on combivent (use it only before exercise), pulmicort turbohaler 2X day and oxygen (1.5 liter) at night with my C-Pap machine.  I also have a nebulizer that I use sometimes before exercise instead of the combivent.  I'd really like to get off the oxygen and have a sleep test scheduled in hopes it will show acceptable levels of desaturation at night.
Your efforts to improve your own health are outstanding.  There is still room for improvement in your pulmonary function with medicine and exercise.  Yours is a terrific exercise program.  The pre-exercise use of Combivent
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?