Respiratory Disorders Forum

FEELING SHORT OF BREATH AND AIR HUNGER

I am a 39 yo female of normal weight - non smoker.  I had two cardiac ablations this spring/summer for AVNRT.  After the second ablation on 6/22/06, I started having Inappropriate Sinus Tach. and SOB.  I was put back on Inderal (which I had already taken for 25 years but was taken off after 2nd ablation).  I figured the tachycardia was causing the SOB but I was wrong. The tachy. has been under control. I continue to have SOB with minimal exertion and I frequently yawn/sigh because I feel I cannot get a deep breath. I have a dry cough often that seems to come from my throat/upper chest.  I am having very frequent PACs (did not have pre-ablation).  I also have to clear my throat often from mucous - especially after eating.  I do have a large "cold"thyroid nodule but my throid functions are normal.  I had a cardiac cath. on8/29/06 and all is clear.  I had pulmonary function test - normal and chest x-ray negative.  These symptoms have greatly impacted my life - I have become more sedentary and the "air hunger" is disturbing.  I do not feel this is due to anxiety but it is now causing me some anxiety.  I have constant fatigue and somedays cannot work.
1. What else can be tested/checked for?
2. Could it possibly be from phrenic nerve damage from cardiac ablation - problems started immed. after 2nd ablation??

I would appreciate your opinion and reply.  Thank you.
If the phrenic nerve were damaged, changes would be seen on the chest x-ray and your pulmonary function tests (PFTs) wouldn
Shortness of breath associated with mild exertion suggests phrenic nerve involvement. But your pulmonary tests and chest X-rays appear to rule out diaphragmatic paralysis.

The use of a pulse-oximeter to record your blood-oxygen levels during the day would be helpful. These use-at-home instruments are somewhat expensive. But you might be able to obtain one for temporary use.

Also, an overnight sleep study is suggested to rule out sleep apnea as a contributor to day time fatigue. A use-at-home device is also available for this purpose.

The analysis of changes in blood-oxygen levels might help identify the specific conditions associated with shortness of breath.

i feel the same way. My doctor said it was allergies.  I sometimes have allergies in the spring and fall but this is a definate starvation for air. I yawn also because I feel that is the only way to get a deep breat. I am getting a chest xray and blood work done but in the meqntime is there anything i can take to make me breath better.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?