Respiratory Disorders Forum

Flying with Bronchiactisis

My husband is 64 and in otherwise good health, but suffers from Bronchiactisis...he uses 2 leters of oxygen at night, but does not need it during the day unless we go to 4000 feet or more.  We are trying to plan a trip to Germany to see our neice and can't seem to get a good understanding of flying that distance...will he need 02 on the plane?  Thanks.
Since your husband uses 2 liters of oxygen when he is at 4000 feet or more, he will need oxygen on the plane.  A plane is pressurized to the same as 7,000 to 9,000 feet in altitude.  When you make your reservations inform the airline(s) of your husband
I think planes are usually pressurized to 8,000 ft altitude, so sounds like he would need auxiliary oxygen. Ask his doctor for advice. Here's a link for Lufthansa:
http://cms.lufthansa.com/fly/de/en/inf/0,4976,0-0-780523,00.html
Excerpt:
"Passengers with breathing problems

If you wish, we can provide you with a supplementary oxygen supply on board. Please request this when you make your reservation. You will be billed with the costs incurred after your journey. "
------------------------------

Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.