Respiratory Disorders Forum

High White Blood Cell Count

I have been going to a specialist for thyroid disorder and was told after blood work was done that my white blood cell count was 22. She stated that particular number is very high. Along with the fact that the number is high, I am always tired, have been having night sweats on and off for a couple of months, reoccuring headaches and very sore lymph nodes in my neck. I had a blood count reading of this sort a couple of years ago and haven't though much about it since. My doc wants to wait a month and do another test. Is this something that I should be concerned about or wait it out as my doctor suggested? Also, since I had this same reading a couple of years ago, if....it were something serious would I have started to see some type of symptoms?
Not sure what a "white blood cell count of 22" means but it is probably short-hand for a count of 22,000.  Equally as important as the number of cells, is the type of cell that is either increased or decreased.  That information can provide clues as to what is going on.

What you describe is consistent with the diagnosis of Mononucleosis but also with the diagnosis of infectious disease such as bacterial pharyngitis or Toxoplasmosis, a parasitic disease.  It is also consistent with the diagnosis of Hodgkin's disease or what is called non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

The rationale for waiting a month is not clear.  Rather than waiting a month, you should have a chest x-ray and, if the neck lymph nodes have been enlarged for more than 4 weeks, a lymph node biopsy.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.