Respiratory Disorders Forum

How Do I Get Rid Of Mucus?

Hi, my name is Laneka and I'm am currently getting over a viral throat infection. For some odd reason, I have excess mucus in coming from my nasal passage flowing down my throat. I don't know the cause of it and the excess mucus is causing trouble with my eating. It is really hard to eat or even drink anything because of the mucus. I really want to know what I can do. What is the best way to get rid of the excess mucus?
The excessive mucus is most likely due to the viral throat infection.  Such viruses seldom respect boundaries and limit themselves, for example, to the throat.  They frequently spread from the throat to the nose and sinuses; less so, to the ears.  Unfortunately, the same can be said of many bacterially caused sore throats, including strep.  If caused by a virus, as you suspect, once you note improvement that should quickly proceed to complete resolution and, with that a progressive reduction in mucus production.  On the other hand, if the excessive mucus persists, that could be a sign of bacterial infection and an indication for antibiotic therapy.

Good luck.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.