Respiratory Disorders Community

Increasing frequency of wheeze and cough with breathing/sinus issues

Why do I have an increasingly bad wheeze and cough ?
by Sarajay01, 40 minutes
In May of 2015 I started to notice a very sporadic Wheeze that only occurred at night ( and by sporadic I mean maybe once every three to four weeks ). By July I was experiencing a swollen chest area in the middle and having difficulty breathing but was having my wedding and on my honey moon so did not get in to a Doctor until August . When I went in I was breathing very heavily with tightness throughout my chest and lungs, a dry cough that was almost nonstop ,a very bad wheeze, the cough would feel it was breaking up mucus only at night time but I never coughed anything up. At this time I was put on 3 different heavy antibiotics for a total of 5 weeks( told I had a bad respiratory infection) , sent for bloodwork and a heart eeg, sent for allergy testing and sent for a chest and sinus X-rays and given an inhaler to help with the wheezing( I cannot recall which kind it was). The chest X-ray came back clear but the sinus X-rays were "atrocious " which led to a referral for a ct scan. I  was also told I have acute sinusitis ( I was going through nearly two Kleenex boxes a week with all my nose blowing and constant nose tripping ) and was provided Flonase. The heart eeg came back abnormal so I did a second one with a similar result and was referred for a heart echo which came back normal.  After the 5 week antibiotic stints and using the Flonase for the prescribed 10'day period I did see some significant relief but sadly it's all slowly came back .

When the wheeze began last year it was very sporadic but as time has gone on it started becoming a daily occurrence but only nocturnally ( starting around 7 to 8 pm nightly ) and only occurred once to twice in those evenings. I went back to the doctor who then switched my inhaler to Turdoza Air. This one did absolutely nothing for me . I was also sent for a Lung pulmonary function test which also came back clear with a 98% lung function and no signs of Asthma and no difference to the asthma medicine they provide during the test. I returned to the doctor again to express how difficult this was becoming to live with and for a different option to the Tudorza Air inhaler . I was given my third inhaler of Ventolin. This one helped the wheeze attacks when I was experiencing them but again as the months Corinne the wheeze and coughing has just becoming more and more increasing . I now have these attacks at all times of day and night every single day. My biggest problem is I have become pregnant as of November so I had to cancel the ct scan , stop taking Flonase and don't feel i have many other options at this point and time . I have repeatedly spoke to my doctor about the increased need for my Ventolin inhaler ( sometimes taking it up 12 or more times a day now ) and continues to tell me this is fine . If this was not hard enough to deal with during these months my nose has become increasingly more swollen and plugged and I can almost NEVER breath through my nose so not only am I restricted in my breathing that way , my wheeze and cough makes it extremely difficult to breathe at all . I have researched as much as I can and am at a complete loss at to whAt is going on and how to find relief . I sleep with a humidifier , I try to do many different herbal/organic treatments like garlic and vitamin c , lemon and honey , I have used honey wraps on my chest , eucalyptus baths , Vicks vapor rubs etc . Nothing helps . I no longer feel tightness in my lungs or my chest , the only area I feel affected is the central airway, my throat is the only area that feels like it tightens when I have the wheezes . I notice cold air, exercise ,cold drinks make it worse . Lately now I cough and get more wheezy whenever I eat or get stressed. The Ventolin no longer feels like it takes the wheeze away completely , just makes it more bearable . Is there anyone who has any ideas what is going on with me ? I know this was a lot of information and some things may not be connected but I figure the more info the better ! Thank you for any input
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.